Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Oroville Dam Spillway Concrete Failure (Feather River Flooding, CA) 36

Status
Not open for further replies.

msquared48

Structural
Aug 7, 2007
US

Erosion has created a 300-foot-deep hole in the concrete spillway of Oroville Dam and state officials say it will continue grow.
State engineers on Wednesday cautiously released water from Lake Oroville's damaged spillway as the reservoir level climbed amid a soaking of rain.

Situated in the western foothills of the Sierra, Lake Oroville is the second-largest manmade reservoir in California after Shasta....

Member Spartan: Stage storage flow data here for those interested:

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Man that's splitting hairs! It's the dirt next to the damn face that makes up the reservoir.

Somethings also odd. I can't see how you'd get a 300ft DEEP hole from that. Is that even possible?

I would not want to be living in Orville at the moment.

Keith Cress
kcress -

I don't see how it is "splitting hairs" to point out that the spillway is a separate structure from the earthfill dam wall. If the downstream face of the dam had a hole like that, look out all points downstream.

They probably mean the hole is 300 ft LONG, but you never know what to believe in a newspaper article.

I'd say 300ft wide is more like it.

oro1_prvsza.jpg

oro2_h6elcy.jpg

So total collapse of the spillway surface off the edge and the water is now going around the spillway - probably further taking out the underlying soil beneath the spillway slab.
Probably will take the whole thing down to the bottom before too long.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

I guess they figure that wrecking the damaged spillway is better than utilizing the emergency spillway adjacent to the this which would just run down the side of the slope anyways.

Another picture at a higher flow rate:

URL]

Professional Engineer (ME, NH, MA) Structural Engineer (IL)
American Concrete Industries

I notice the color of the water downstream of the hole; brown.
I.e., there's dirt in it, that didn't come over the top of the spillway.
This bodes ill.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

The issue to me is obvious seepage under or through the dam above that undermined the spillway.

I would be far more concerned with the stability of the dam.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

Seeing it run down NEXT to the spillway is a whole nother layer of 'oh damn'. Pretty chilling.

Mike, good eye.

Isn't it great too, how they are feverishly working to make the emergency spillway functional by removing
trees etc. I guess you always have lots of time to get emergency systems operational
during EMERGENCIES.

Keith Cress
kcress -

<inexpert opinion>

I hope they are not removing entire trees.

I'd guess that severely pruning the tops but not killing the tree, turning them into giant Bonsai, and leaving the roots intact, might be better for stabilizing the soil.

</inexpert...>

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Yea, I'd say it's pretty unlikely that this will weaken or even damage the dam itself. In the image #6 it looks like one of those 'sink-holes' you see in the news all the time.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

... and it sure looks like what they're investigating is water coming up through the spillway paving.

Where do you suppose such water might come from?

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back