Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OSHA Guard Rail Cannot Equal 42"

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsbmusicguy

Structural
Mar 21, 2019
US
Hey all,

I am reviewing a catwalk system where a guardrail is required however, there is an existing ceiling 40" above the top of the cat walk grading and therefore the required 42" guardrail cannot be obtained due to this constraint.

With this being the case, should the guard rail be designed for a worker to tie off onto the guard rail since it can't meet the height? Therefore the guard rail would have to be designed for the load of a worker falling off the platform with the lanyard pulling on the guard rail which will be greater than the required 200 # / 50 plf?

If anyone has ran into this let me know, I am having trouble finding any information. Thanks!

RSB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the ceiling at the same elevation over the entire plan area of the catwalk? How can a worker fall over a 40" handral if the ceiling is 40" above the floor?

This doesn't sound like a catwalk at all - it sounds like an enclosed mezzanine.

Swinny GG -

Yep! This is an enclosed mezzanine however, the drop ceiling below the catwalk cannot be relocated thus if a worker were to fall off the catwalk and through the ceiling they would have a 18' fall to the concrete slab below.

The guardrail is currently proposed at 34" but that does not meet the 42" requirement but I cannot move the ceiling so I am kind of stuck.

RSB

So if I'm standing on the catwalk, I can only stand up straight if I am less than 40" tall?

Can you post a sketch? Something doesn't make sense. If the catwalk is below the ceiling and the ceiling is restricting the height of the guardrail, how could you be above the ceiling and fall 18'? Do you crawl along the catwalk (perhaps we should call it a catcrawl?), remove a ceiling panel/access hatch, and then stand up to do work above the ceiling?

Rather than tying off to a guardrail (which, if they have a safety program worth anything at all, should run counter to their training and it's not a habit you want them getting into), why not run a safety line above the ceiling? Remove that panel, clip on above you, and do what you need to do? Of course, I have no idea what they're doing, how they're doing it, or what may be in the way.

OR provide a guardrail that goes 40", or 36 and call it a day. You're fully protected at that point. I can't imagine anyone disagreeing with that approach.

I'm actually more concerned about the intermediate rail heights. Someone crawling along may potentially be at a different height than the OSHA mid-rail height and therefore it would be no protection at all.

I stand by my comment. I can't see anyone arguing with you about your guardrail height if there's no way you could fall off of the catwalk. Provide a guardrail that protects any user of the catwalk. 42" high is when you have the chance of walking off the edge of something. You don't have that here, you have the chance of someone rolling off, protect the user and I can't imagine an OSHA inspector having an issue with that.

Agree with Jay.

If I can't fall over the handrail because it touches the ceiling, it's not a handrail. It's a wall.

Set the height at 38" or whatever, cover it with mesh if you want. I doubt any OSHA inspector is going to bat an eyelash.

Yeah - you should fine. Maybe add an additional lower rail. Though for the sake of the people using it, use diamond deck or steel plate with a rubber tile like what you see in kindergarten classrooms...

Don't ever tie off to a guardrail / handrail. These are for fall prevention, not fall arrest. Huge difference.

IFRs - I think he was suggesting designing the guardrail for the appropriate fall arrest loads. But as I mentioned above, even if designed for the appropriate forces tying off to a guardrail is not a good habit to promote in the workers.

How on earth is this going to be installed if the ceiling can't be disturbed? Are you hanging it from the slab above? Can't help but chuckle a little bit. The guard rail height would be the least of my worries.

You may want to review headroom requirements, I am not sure you could call this a catwalk.

Depending on use and other building code requirements you may need to rethink having access with such low head room.

Regulations can't be all encompassing. The regulations for catwalks don't apply. You need the cat crawl regulation.

Ha - the handrail is only one of the issues with this catwalk and yes, one of my least concerns. The constructability is a nightmare but I am discussing with the client/design engineer what the best solutions will be, this does not appear to be it!

Tune in next time...

RSB

Depends on the access points and width of the catwalk, OSHA clauses on confined space entry may kick in. Suggest to install lifeline or tie-off points under the slab, that is capable of sustain the force from free fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back