Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Overlapping lines/curves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nham

Mechanical
Mar 20, 2013
FI
Hi,

Anyone know how one can find and remove overlaping lines in a sketch?
Or in drafting?

Tried to import some ideas and Acad drawings to nx9 drafting. That itself took two nights to find right settings. Then managed to create design views and transport contents to a separate 3Dpart for modeling the part from 2d to 3D. Turned out to be easier to model it from scratch than to clean the overlappig lines that came from ACAD. Also strange that imported views did not work directly. Still not there for direct copy from drawing and paste to sketch in modeling and perhaps in a different part... Or i just didn't figure those things yet.

Is there a simple way to clean sketches or drafting views?
Found one post thread181-27567 that kind of hints there is a way. Post is old (2012) and maybe sftware as evolved since then.

Would be nice to have if you had 30year history in all sorts of 2d systems.

NH

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hello,

To find and remove overlapping lines in a sketch,you can use any feature creation command like 'extrude' and get the help of selection intent - connected curve - stop at intersection.

when you select any sketch object,it stops at overlapping object.Delete it once you find the overlapping elements.

Thanks and regards,
Mathi K

Hi,

We might have a little bit of different things in mind here Mathi K...
While it is ok to cycle between editing sketch and trying to extrude and then go back and delete some lines and re-extrude, like this first example below it could be done. Might be a little more time consuming to do the same to a little bigger drawing.... or do it couple of hundred times a week for a small part. Just too time consuming to do. I had something better in mind. Maybe Sketch cleanup journals available?

Second example is a live example of a layout that needs some work and old geometry to be modeled and added to a another project.
To use Autocad is a big temptation. First I wanted to take a look how new NX9 handles this in powerdrafting. No problem there.
Exept geometry in ACAD dwg is not optimal. And usually all people say that you should fix the sending end and ask correct geometry.
That is not an option in most cases.

What if there are dozens of overlapping lines everywhere. Cleanup could be done in ACAD. Why do that if NX should be your first and only option? Macro / journal / anything possible to remove all but one set of lines?

I know lots of Ideas and most old ACAD dwgs have this problem. We are also encouraged to stop Ideas usage and to transition to NX.
I think this is an area to develop. At least there would be a huge productivity gain to have a analyze and fix geometry within a sketcher environment. I hope i'm not alone with this wish.

something small:

And something bigger:

NH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back