Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

OWSJ KL/r

Status
Not open for further replies.

olivei34

Structural
Oct 22, 2009
CA
I am designing some 18" OWSJ, for the KL/r the steel handbook says r is the radius of gyration. I have tried using it for round bar and my web comes out extremely big, but if using the actual radius of the bar the web of these joist come out reasonably sized.

I am wondering which one is the correct one or if both ways are possible. Can anyone help?

Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

no way you should use actuall r. You have to use r= SQRT I/A. there is some short cut like .3d. cnfirm it.
Check if units are compatible.

Checking the design of a fellow engineer. So then by using this radius of gyration to find lamda, I inserted it into the Cr = 0.9AFy(1+?^(2n))^(-1/n)
to find the compressive resistance of the web member in compression. I think this is the right procedure, Please correct me if I am wrong. If right I will have to chech my math again.

Thank You.

Careful! As dgkhan states, you must use the radius of gyration, not the radius of the bar! Also, your formula for the "compressive resistance" doesn't seem right. You need to check again more than your math.

The formula Cr = 0.9AFy(1+?^(2n))^(-1/n) is correct for doubly symmetric shapes according to the Canadian code. For hollow sections, n = 1.34.

Perhaps the easiest would be to post your calculation for a typical web member. It is not difficult to check.

BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back