Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Part Numbering Scheme

Status
Not open for further replies.

rossh

Electrical
Jan 14, 2002
US
I'm looking for any info on existing part-numbering schemes. I would rather adopt an existing one rather than reinvent the wheel. If you are using a 9 digit (xxx-xxxx-xx) type scheme I would be interested in how it's working for you and any problem areas. Simple is better from my perspective.

Thanks

Rossh

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We use a seven digit scheme (XXX-XXXX) with the first three digits being the significant digits:

194-XXXX : Capacitors
267-XXXX : Covers
518-XXXX : Plates
564-XXXX : Resistors

We use numbers 800-XXXX and above for assemblies.

The addition of 2 digits (-XX) would be a further improvement but at this time we have no plans to change.

Regards,

Steve Smith
Product Engineer
Staco Energy Products Co.

why not set a scheme for utilising the type, value, tolerance,case size
for instance
c-106-05-0603 fo a cap 1uf 5% tol 0603 size?
i have not tried this system but have heard that it may work
it makes developement a breeze with engineer able to see what is available instead of having to remember numbers not associated with the part

To keep it simple I wouldn't use 9 digits if you want people too obtain useful info from the part number. I have found a simple two letter designator system followed by 3 numbers is sufficient. RS for resistors, CA for caps, VR for voltage regulator etc.. If the inventory system you use is used to its full ability then a descent description can be attached to the part number and the whole system printed for easy look-up. Good luck

Suggestion: Check with Military standards, industry standards, and government standards for part number structure or design if you happen to be dealing with any of those entities.

Both fil & buzzp are getting into the part number -vs- drawing number argument (check out thread404-15545).
If rossh is truely looking for a part number scheme then the descriptive numbers they discribed are great. But if rossh is looking for a drawing numbering system then you are looking at an entirely differant animal and the 9 digit numbering system or something similar is what he (she?) wants. Just my 2 cents.

Regards, Steve Smith
Product Engineer
Staco Energy Products Co.

Are you an OEM or just stocking parts for your companies use? That will make a difference. My suggestion is relevant to OEM's that are building from scratch. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back