Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pedestrian bridge collapse over six-lane highway - I295 Northeast DC 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan5

Civil/Environmental
May 29, 2007
US
Minor injuries reported.

67E049F3-837A-41E5-BEA7-BCCD25E36C2E_uidbtc.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well the uncrashed version doesn't look in the best of shapes before hand, but that truck is very suspicious. A simple blow would be enough to slide it along the carriageway by the look of it.

image_gl9wmc.png

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

It looks as if the exhaust stack is untouched.
I'll bet on a high load in the next lane that continued on out of the picture.
It looks as if he was carrying a load of sacks or bags on pallets. They don't often pile those loads nearly as high as the top of the stack. On the other hand never underestimate the ingenuity of a truck driver when it comes to overloading a truck to avoid an extra trip.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

The first image in LittleInch's post shows what appears to be pre accident.
The shots following are from google maps and show a capture date of 2019. This is not the worst underside of a bridge I have seen.are somewhat deep. The number of scrapes (zoom in on googlemaps to see this) indicate the bridge is a bit low with respect to the standard interstate clearance.

Some witness video [link ]Storyful = Passerby Captures Aftermath of Collapsed Pedestrian Bridge in Northeast Washington[/url]

Construction of this roadway was 1957 to 1964. I think this part was closer to 1964 and the pedestrian bridge was most likely part of the original construction, so it is perhaps in service for 60 years.

Some History - Anacostia Freeway (I-295)

I wounder about how the torsion loads from the signs play in here. How much of the design margin do they use up?
Some of the gouges on the underside of this bridge
Screenshot_from_2021-06-23_18-37-19_hbonlr.png
Screenshot_from_2021-06-23_18-36-27_almd8o.png

It's ironic that a perfectly good bridge was instantly reduced to a pile of concrete and scrap metal by a truck with "FRANK'S SCRAP METAL"
painted on the door.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Judging by the flattened front rim, I guessing the truck pulled a wheelie when the load caught before being slammed violently back down into the ground.

BA1B3037-A36A-41E3-9314-47EE1818C861_ficcoa.jpg

URL]

I know it's difficult to pick out, but could the sign have slipped down leaving poles sticking down into the carriageway??

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Ugh, I hate driving under those ped bridges in DC... they always look like they'll collapse with just a person walking across it. I prefer to park outside and take the metro in(so I can be in a derailment like everyone else).

DC infrastructure is... sketchy, in areas.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

The sign damage was collateral damage.
The truck cab and the high exhaust stack cleared the bridge with no damage to the stack.
The dump box was elevated higher than the exhaust stack and higher than the bottom of the bridge.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I'm confused by the term subframe in this context. If sub means under, can it really be raised so high? Or was it the bed of a dump truck that was raised?

My vehicles complain with warnings and chimes whenever a door or seatbelt is left unlatched. It would seem this condition should likewise be alerted.

he truck was probably fitted ash a Roll on / Roll-off waste hauler. In this context the waste box sits on a set of rails which are used by the truck to slid the box to the ground and later to slide the box back onto the truck.
Here is a video of the operation of a roll on / roll off truck bed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back