Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pedestrian bridge collapse over six-lane highway - I295 Northeast DC 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan5

Civil/Environmental
May 29, 2007
US
Minor injuries reported.

67E049F3-837A-41E5-BEA7-BCCD25E36C2E_uidbtc.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There is a known infrequent failure mode for tilting bed trucks that cause the bed to tilt up without the operators knowledge. It is not difficult to find examples. The force reaction for a hinge behind the rear axle will always make the front end lift. How far can be calculated from your statics and dynamics textbook.
[ul]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[li][/li]
[/ul]
Bridges should not be the sacrificial element in a truck - bridge collision.

Regardless of which type of truck it was (is?) that is a really hard impact.

From the pictures and the video, it doesn't look like a dump truck; it looks similar to a POD mover truck, which has four columns that can be raised up about 5 ft higher than the top of the POD. The picture posted by Spartan5 shows at least two similar columns.
image_jq3ur1.png

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

...an audible and visual alarm system would reduce this type of collision.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Those posts appear to be part of the bridge. A pod-mover is highly specialized and it is extremely unlikely that a scrap dealer will have any use for one.
Roll-offs are common as are straight dumps and semi dumps.
image_afnbdm.png

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Those are sign supports similar to the ones on the other side of the highway.
I have been looking in vain for a picture of the part that actually hit the bridge.
If it was rails for a drop bin, they may have been peeled all the way back and be on the ground under the debris.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

I expect the truck had the empty roll-on frame raised.

You can see the back of the frame with the big roller in the second post in this thread and there is no box behind it so it doesn't appear the truck had a box on it.

Judging from this picture, you are exactly correct, Lionel.
image_wex6mf.png

He probably dropped the bin and pushed the control to lower the rails(sub frame).
For some reason the rails didn't lower all the way, and he never looked back.
By the way, the truck has at least four rear view mirrors, maybe five.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Just glad to hear Frank is doing OK.

overpasses and trucks, enemies until the end of time.

Seen a few of these happen in my area, though always with car bridge type overpasses. The bridge usually survives with some light damage.

Now that i type this, i do notice that the pedestrian overpasses in my area are always built much higher than the car bridge type overpasses.

Hi IR; Most dump trucks have a single acting hydraulic lift system and may easily ride up.
The roll off trucks have a double acting hydraulic system and something fairly bog, has to break before they ride up.
In this case I think Frank hit both effects.
By the way the truck reared up, he may have had the angle just right.
The angle notwithstanding, it looks as if something big broke and the subframe then peeled back.

Bill
--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Not quite as exciting due to the slow speeds involved. But always an incident every month or two
11foot8.com
Only bridge I know with it's own website and YouTube channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back