Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PIPE BENDS 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mncedisi Nzipo

Mechanical
Jul 26, 2017
ZA
Good day, engineers. Could you please assist in clarifying the description of a specific pipe bend: DN150 x 60 x 914? It’s a 60-degree bend on a 150mm pipeline, but I need to know whether the 914 refers to the radius or the length.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What's the radius of the bend?

3D, 5D or something else?

914 is exactly 3 ft or 36 inches.

Doesn't add up for length. Won't leave much of a straight length.

Quite an odd description for a bend IMO.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Could it be the arc length of the bend they want? A 60 degree bend, but not bent so tightly so it has a larger radius and that's the arc length of the bend, perhaps.

#

Thanks for the engagements. There are two pipe bends. The other one is a 150 x 90 x 914. Then the one in question. For the 90 degree one,when I measured it the dimension from the face of the flange to the centerline was 914. However the 60 degree one wasn’t there so I didn’t get a chance to measure it.
26C5583B-EFDA-41ED-99CF-425EE9F3ADAB_rrlvcp.png

Flange?

A sketch would help if what these dimensions are that you quote.

Is this a forged or cast bend? Can't see how the lettering is raised otherwise. Prob a 3D bend then.

That's an odd bend.

That looks to me like a 5D bend with allowance for a WN class 150 flange or similar.

So the 914 for the 60 degree bend is sort of the radius to the centreline of the bend, but not quite.

All depends on the detail of the flange on the end.

but if its a casting they should have a drawing to go with it?

I agree with LI, what you have here looks like a 5D ell with some tangent length added for the flange.

I cant find a cut sheet on 5D cast iron ells, but Gruvlok 5D ells have a 36" (914mm) center to end, 6D Gruvlok ells are 42" C/E and a 4" 5D Gruvlok ell is 24" C/E so it looks suspiciously like 1D is added to the nominal radius to get the 90 deg C/E. This is probably some dimensional standard that comes from older iron fittings. The center to end of a 60 deg 5D Gruvlok elbow is 23.25" (~590mm), does that jive?

Odd way to call it out based on the C/E of the 90 degree bend instead of just marking it 5D but I suppose when tangents are added by default its not as easy as calling out the radius.

Re LittleInch and GB Torpenhow ..

Only 843 more questions until we get the whole picture from the OP !!! ..... Be patient 11

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back