Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Position Sensing Detector Interfacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinayKumarPabha

Electrical
May 23, 2013
I want to build the circuit attached with this post to measure the position of the laser.
Please clarify my doubts regarding it
1. What is the current range produced by each quadrant in the photo detector.
2. Can the gain of the transimpedance amplifiers and sum and difference affect the position information
3. Can the temperature effect the operation of the circuit.
4. The X and Y outputs obtained are in the form of voltage. How to read the position from them. Are they needed to processed further. If so then tell me what tools are needed to process them.

Thank You........

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Position measuring means quantifying a position in, say, mm, with some level of accuracy

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

"Can data loggers continuously record and store the information. What does the sampling rate of a data logger mean."

I suggest that you assign yourself this homework.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

If measuring is quantifying the position, then how does it differ from detecting the laser spot. Could elaborate please. I've already tried understanding the sampling rate, but I will try more. Any data logger satisfying my needs?

Our suggestions so far appear to be grossly misaligned with your personal learning process. So let's try something different.

Forget the datalogger and LabView for now.

Don't spend any more big money. Rig up whatever hardware you've got already and try to read the X,Y outputs of your quadrant detector preamp on a couple of cheap multimeters. (the kind you get on sale for $3 at Harbor Freight, so you don't care if the smoke comes out)

Then tell us what you find out.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

"If measuring is quantifying the position, then how does it differ from detecting the laser spot."

I detect that you are a human, but can't quantify where you live, particularly since you apparently can't access Wikipedia or Google.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back