Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Position tolerance of an axis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanner78

Industrial
Apr 23, 2015
IT
Hello all,

In your opinion can I give a position tolerance of an axis?
I have defined the axis through 3 angles and one point (defined by 3 coordinates x-y-z), since this axis refers to a complex inclined geometry. So the next step would be the definition of the position tolerance on a diameter. Unfortunately I do not have a real diameter due to the complex shape. I can find much more easily an axis.

Thank you!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Does your feature pass the 'caliper test' or more correctly 'Feature of Size':

ASME Y14.5M-1994 1.3.17 said:
Feature of Size. One cylindrical or spherical surface, or a set of two opposed elements or opposed parallel surfaces, associated with a size dimension.

Generally tolerances are applied to features, not theoretical axis or planes etc.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Instead of axis, since it's a complicated geometry it might be better to use the "boundary" idea. In GD&T it would still be the position symbol, but the interpretation would be based on the physical boundary of the feature, not its axis.
There's also the option of using profile of a surface, which controls the location (and form) of the physical surface.

John-Paul Belanger
Certified Sr. GD&T Professional
Geometric Learning Systems

Yes, I've already applied profile tolerances to the faces.
The overall surface is a mix of splines which lead to a sort of ovoid-shaped tube.
Profile of a surface is surely the best way, but for the measurement a kind of "reference" axis or point is needed to begin with the measurement. That's why I'm trying to use an axis.

I hope I made myself clear. Thank you very much for your replies.

You can still locate the surfaces from the theoretical axis, and have the axis located by basic dimensions tying back to the datums. However, the tolerance is only applied to the surface.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back