Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pressure calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemroopa

Chemical
Sep 9, 2007
In my process, cement ( polymer) is pumped through a filter to a coagulation tank at at rate of 20 gpm. The pipe size is 3" and the cement distributes through 12 nozzles each of 1/8" dia to the coagulation tank. Filter inlet and outlet pressures are about 28psig and 24 psig respectively.

We change these filters frequently ( 1.5 months)when the DP hits 25psig. At this DP the pump runs close to its trip pressure ( 70psig) so i decided to increse the feed nozzle size from 1/8" to 3/16" and increase the filter span but I do not by how much I can increase the filter life. How can I calculate the pressure in the line or filter outlet? We maintain 8psig in the tank. Your suggestions are hihgly appreciated. Thank You

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One reason for maintaining a relatively high DP over the outlet nozzles is to ensure equal flow through each of the 12 nozzles. To ensure this, the DP over the nozzles must be high relative to the pressure drop through the piping.

Katmar Software
Engineering & Risk Analysis Software

Thanks for your suggestion Katmar. Since our process is a batch process, and we do cleaning of those tanks once in a month, I would like to try( if I can get good filter span)a new set of feed nozzles. If I couldnt get good flow distribution through the nozzles, we can can revert back to old nozzles.

Hi
I dont know if you have tried some instrumental solutions, like some transduction,or some sensors, which temperature the polymer is? you dont have any temperature drop between your tank at 8psig and your nozzles?

ISRAEL BARRON

I am using 50 micron filter and viscosity of polymer is about 3400. If i can increase the area of the nozzles either with larger dia or more nozzles to increase area by atleast 30%. This way I can decrease pressure on the pump discharge and also filter life by changing filters at 28 - 30 psi rather than 25 psi. Filter elements looks pretty clean as most of the catalyst is removed in a centrifugal filter. Could somebody plz help me out in the calculationns procedure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back