Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pressure thickness design

Status
Not open for further replies.

mielke

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2009
US
I have a wall in a pressure vessel (1000F and 50psia) that we are designig. it is 15"x30" and we are comparing a flat plate and a hemispherical shell for the wall.

I have been reference to the following equations for determining the thickness of each of the above...
flat plate: t=d(ZCP/SE)
half pipe: t=PR/(2SE-0.2P)

where d is the shorter dimension
D is the longer dimension
Z is noncircular correction =3.4-2.4d/D
C is the joint factor (0.7)
R is the radius (7.5)
E is the joint efficiency (0.33)
P is the design pressure (50)
and using allowable stress of A516-70(1000F) S=12,000

in calculating it out i get that the flat plate is about 44x as thick as the half pipe! is this reasonable? am I using the equations correctly? any advice?

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sounds about right. Flat plates and pressure don't mix well.

Think about it - are your balloons spherical/cylindrical, or flat plates? For a given geometry and internal pressure, the sphere/cylinder is the most efficient use of material.

Is there any way to quantitate the effect of running a piece of angle along the corners of a flat plate to reinforce it?

d'ya think the analysis is valid for a displacement of 44x thickness ?

i'm guessing you don't, 'cause you're asking.

well, it ain't !

i'm guessing your structure is a flat panel, without stiffeners. flat plates don't like pressure (as noted above). they will deflect and in-plane membrane tension (like "hoop stress" in a fuselage) will help the plate react the pressure. displacements may still be too large to be acceptable ... so break up the flat plate with stiffeners (angles/tees welded/fastened to the plate).

i'm guessing you don't have access to an FEM ... how about Roark ?

if this is the way you ant to go, we can help with equations/solutions. you can look this stuff up on-line as well.

the equation i had above is the only one i can find for flat plate (i get lost easily searching on the web.) i think that equation is ASME and probably pretty conservative if so. if anyone has any other references for flat plate thickness i'd appreciate it.

google "moody rectangular plates" ... seriously, i did and got a hit on Roark's reference for rectangular plates with transverse pressure.

The statement was that the flat plate thickness calculated out 44 times that of a sphere, not that the deflection was 44 times the thickness. For that size and pressure, calculated cylinder thickness would be very small.

The two references you need are:
Timishenko’s “Theory of Plates and Shells”
Young’s “Roark’s Formulas for Stress and Strain”

You may wish to look at legacy threads on this subject in the forum. This is a very old issue, I remember providing closed form solution sets using Thick Wall Pressure Vessel, Von Mises-Hencky Theory, FEA using SolidWorks (I think 2004 in the day).

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back