Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Problems with coworkers 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

PawSoxRule

Electrical
Aug 16, 2018
US
I've been an electrical engineer for 7 years and I've worked for 4 different companies. I've been with my current company for 2 years.I like the type of work I do, but I'm constantly having problems with my coworkers. I used to think I was easy to get along with, and never had these problems at any of my old jobs. I try to be friendly with everyone, but it gets me nowhere. All day I deal with rudeness, sarcasm, being ignored etc. from the other engineers. To the point where I can not get answers to questions that I need to get my job done.

I think the problem is that I'm a relatively young guy (30) and most of the other engineers are in their 50's or older. They have all worked here for many more years than me, some for 20 years. Sometimes I can not get the answers I need from anyone and I guess at what I have to do. Then of course I guess wrong, and the problem isn't caught until test. Then the project manager has to involve one of the senior engineers anyway, and the senior engineer puts me down for not figuring the problem out myself. Which could have been avoided in the first place, if they had answered the questions I had originally. This exact situation has happened over and over again for the last two years. Again, I have been an electrical engineer for 7 years, and no one at my old companies ever thought I was incompetent.

This is affecting me to the point where my health is suffering and i now have back pain, am overweight and have high blood pressure. I have zero motivation anymore and I think my personality has changed for the worse. I've been applying to other jobs and I've had 4 job interviews in the past few months, but every time I was turned down. Now I feel too discouraged to even look for new jobs. It's come to where i have to go to this anonymous forum, to ask for help. Any advice is appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don’t know your particular circumstances. But some comments on your environment.

Went to live and work in Mass. for 12 years. I worked and socialized with a mixture of native New Englanders and transplants like me. Got along with most but the natives were much more provincial, it seemed to me. Much harder to befriend and guarded of newcomers.

I got a job offer in Texas. When I told my friends and acquaintances, I got two distinctly different responses, almost directly related to native/transplant. The transplants said, congratulations! You’ll love it. The natives by and large said, why do you want to move there? They’ll never accept you.

Just my 2 cents.

BTW, love the Sox, Pawtucket or not.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

To Tick: A friend of mine once worked at an automobile plant and one of his co workers came from
Germany. Co worker made the statement "I have never made a mistake" My friend replied "But your wife sure did".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back