Proposals to design a 50m cantilever transfer slab 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sujitha Menon

Civil/Environmental
Nov 18, 2020
AE
Good day
This is for a project in Dubai where in I have a 50m cantilver edge at the corner of the building starting from 2nd floor and the building projects out to carry 10 floors of hospital above . what will be the best proposal to design this area.The General internal floor slabs are flat slab with column drops.As cantilver support columns are spaced at 10m apart can I propose a deep 50m cantilver steel truss at every 10m span .with a back span for the span.How do I curb the huge moments incurred in the supports.Is there any option other than steel.Great if you can send me any reports you have in hand .Yes it is a 50m cantilver transfer slab--

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We're going to need some sketches. Your framing arrangement is extremely hard to follow with only a worded description.

A plan view showing column locations and a section view would probably allow some of the extremely bright people here give you some real insight.

To start, a 50m cantilever seems extreme. Are you sure about your units and terminology?

The words "50m & cantilever & slab" are not words you expect to find together. Hence the continue disbelief express.

If you do want a cantilever without dropping a column to ground then then you likely want to engage many floors above to allow the slabs form a deep beam that is numerous stories high.

I suspect that you have to use the outside walls and cantilever it the 7m distance from the interior columns to the outside wall. It's a huge cantilever and I don't know if it can be done... but, maybe a solution similar to what I've proposed.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

what will be the best proposal to design this area
How do I curb the huge moments incurred in the supports

Put a column or two in starts to solve all your issues.....

50m cantilever sounds pretty ridiculous to support a high importance structure like a hospital. I'm curious what are the proportions of the cantilevering truss, how deep, how much back-span, & how much does it deflect.

Concrete might work. Several storeys deep cantilevered beam?

Sujitha Menon, will you please post a scaled sketch showing the full plan with columns and perimeter of slab? I could not visualize the plan..

You’re not going to get a response on how to design the world’s craziest building from us strangers on the internet.

Hospital floor vibrations are usually critical for their very sensitive machinery. I think the client needs to reconsider building a 10 storey hospital over 50m of fresh air...

Putting my crazy hat on, if I were to do it, I’d be looking at at least 10m deep trusses (3 storey heights minimum) as a starting point. You have all sorts of vibration, seismic and redundancy issues to consider though. This just doesn’t seem realistic to me.

I agree with the others, I don't think this is reasonable. especially with only 20m of backspan. The uplift forces on that back end will be enormous. How are you planning on dealing with that?

Fun. I've read of theoretical proposals recently to reboot the practice of using high-rise exterior cladding for load bearing and lateral resistance. Basically, undoing the curtain wall concept. Your thing might be accomplished in such a way. It's essentially another version of the multi-story, vierendeel truss concept that you mentioned. Ductility might be a challenge if you're in a high seismic environment. Based on the 7m dimension shown in your sketch, I suspect that this isn't quite as bad as the 50m makes it sound when drawn to scale.

C01_cmmn9c.jpg

Yeah, minus the gargantuan strongbox in the middle and done as cladding rather that CIP. Not that CIP wouldn't be an option if were economically feasible.

C01_ahq0x9.jpg

In a similar vein, I suppose that diagrid ought to be considered.

Hospital programming tends to not like interior walls so options with that might be limited.

Easy... rock anchors...[bigsmile]

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back