Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pump Efficiencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris0164

Mechanical
Aug 18, 2005
BE
I have a discussion with a pump manufacturer about the pump efficiencies. After order it appears that they cannot comply with their quoted efficiencies. They have "forgotten" to include the absorbed power for the double mechanical seals (varies from 0.5 to 1 kW) in their quotation. Now this is unacceptable for me but I cannot find something about guaranteed efficiencies in API 610 or ISO standard. Can somebody give me a clue??

Kind Regard,

Chris

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've never seen anything in the codes, more of a industry standard or company guideline.

May not be worth worrying about...pump meets a range of effeciency or is close enough to be picked / ordered. In my world, the 1kw loss is not that big a deal. I'm better moving on to other bigger details / problems. My way of looking at is if pump runs 24/7/365, what are we talking about? Maybe $1,000 a year on high end

OK thanks Stewbaby, you are right but I was thinking of the principle, we select our pumps on best efficiency and when they come telling me after order that efficiencies were wrong I feel myself cheated.

Table 14 of API 610 indeed states that eficciency is NOT a rated value.

Thanks for the input.

Chris

Kind Regard,

Chris

I hope the pump/drive design had safety margin between design and capacity!

My previous employer used to request the vendor provide horsepower required by the seal. Other than that, I'm not aware of a standard requiring guaranteed efficiencies.

many pumps will have a horsepower requirement at specific pressure/flows. As with anything, when you compare pricing, you need to ask the 'why' when viewing descrepencies. If you've paid a premium price and have gotten less, I'd for one take up the challenge. But if you bought cheap, expect cheap.

Hi auto,

thanks for the info, unfortunately we had to go single source. Pump manufacturer already had about 150 pumps on Client's site. Now with the upgrade they have about 300 pumps on site there. Must be a goldmine for spare parts !!

Pump Manuacturer treats us (engineering contractor) as balast.

Kind regards,

Chris

Kind Regard,

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back