Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pure water pump mounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharmaguy

Chemical
Oct 15, 2001
US
Helpful engineers,
I am in search of best approach to mounting a pure water pump for sanitary loop. The main problem is all piping connections are rigid tri-clover and it is expensive to place flex connections at inlet and outlet of pump. The vendor sent some rubber feet that simply set on the base. I want something a bit more solid, yet handle 400 lb close-coupled 40hp application. Are spring mounts suitable for this project ?

Thanks,
pharmaguy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

pharmaguy,

The concern for baseplate design occurs because of the connection between the motor and driven equipment, and the requirement to maintain this alignment. In the case of pumps with a separate motor, coupling and pump, the alignment is of major importance. However, with a close coupled design, the alignment is fixed by metal to metal registered fits. Therefore shaft alignment is retained without the assistance of external means. Many vertical in-line pumps (which can exceed your hp level) are installed with only a vertical load support.

Since you are using a close coupled unit, you should not be overly concerned with the baseplate design, or the support of the base. You should support the base sufficiently (flex mount or not), so that the piping and pump flanges are not supporting the weight of the pump unit.

If you are that concerned about vibrations being transmitted from the pump to the pipe and possibly damaging it then I would focus on the equipment base or foundation you will be setting the pump on. Most every pump application I see in industry, this critical component is overlooked. I would not use rubber feet that a manufacturer randomly sent you as chances are they did no vibration analysis on your system and they will only make the possibility of breaking you pipe worse.

BobPE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back