Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Quickest Way To Convert Solid Body From NX To An OBJ 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marlborough

Automotive
Jun 21, 2008
CA
Hey guys -
for the past couple of years, I've been tasked to create CGI Photo-realistic video renders using 3D models I find online using software that requires the file to be OBJ. But now I've been requested to start using NX content I create for my videos. It's possible, but it's just so time consuming. The only way I found that works is to export an STL from NX, Import it into Blender and converting to an OBJ. And if I need to apply texture to it like carbon fiber or brushed metal, I need to import the OBJ into Sketchup, apply a texture and export it again as an OBJ otherwise the texture doesn't get integrated. The biggest problem with that is, if it's something Class A that's big, it always causes Sketchup to crash. Would be grateful if someone knows of a better way to do this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Marlborough said:
Unfortunately, we usually don't see the new version of NX until 2 to 3 years after the release.
Then you won't have to wait that long anymore... NX12 was released 2 years ago last month. [roll1]

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Thank you both for the good news. I can nag me boss to be one of the guinea pigs to test the early release. Early release within the company that is.

It's not in NX12.
after NX12 two full versions has been released.
Sadly no normally gifted person knows how these versions are numbered. [evil] :)

Regards,
Tomas

Well....

NX1847 - Siemens was founded in 1847
NX1872 - October 1872, on the occasion of Siemens & Halske’s 25th anniversary, Werner von Siemens announced the creation of a pension, widows and orphans fund for company employees
NX1899 - 1899, Officially registered – confirmation of registration of the first Siemens trademark with the Imperial Patent Office.
NX1962 - Multiple things going on for Siemens that year. Don't know which occasion they meant with this one.

Ronald van den Broek
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Well, Ronald's reply might tell who's more than normally gifted... :)

what i am trying to say is that , it's more or less impossible to read from these numbers which versions are compatible or not,
and, which versions require a new license file.
Its also impossible to understand which versions can be "automatic updated"/ are the "automatic update"

You have to go Help - About to see :
( btw, the latest version is 1888 :) )
image_ulpezb.png

Regards,
Tomas

Toost is correct.

I myself don't understand the whole concept of this new release process and why Siemens thought is was needed. (other than for some new marketing stunt)
To me it doesn't look different compared to the old releases with Version upgrades and maintenance packs. (not taking into account the automatic update feature of course)

Ronald van den Broek
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Off-topic, but whoever is responsible for the new versioning, must have taken over the official Siemens community board as well.
I gave up frequenting that mess.

I had wondered what Export Subdivision geometry was (.obj), I noticed that in NX12.2

@marlborough

This is going to sound so simple and maybe a bit trivial but maybe just request for a trial of the latest NX? This might at least buy you some time while you talk to your boss about upgrading. I'm pretty sure almost all CAD/CAE systems have the ability now to at least 'save as' an .obj

Good luck.
-K

If you pay the yearly maintenance on NX, the latest version is available to you and just waiting for you to install it. You'll need to update your license file (and probably upgrade the license software as well). With a little work, you can install both NX 12 and the latest NX on the same machine; just be very careful not to save a production part in the new version!

www.nxjournaling.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back