Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Murphy's Laws" 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

PSE

Industrial
Apr 11, 2002
US
Just for fun,

Should Murphy's Laws be taught as an engineering course? How often do they seem to be appropriate for problems encountered in your work?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since it seems all laws were made to be broken and all rules have exceptions. It might not be such a bad idea.
Besides what is a Liberal Artist?

You know, maybe we lend Murphy's Laws too much credence. After all, if the Laws hold true, then Murphy inevitably screwed up somewhere along the line when defining the laws themselves. Paradox, anyone?

You're probably right RITelectric...paradox indeed.

As for Murphy's Laws, I'm a firm believer. So much, that I have had the poster laminated and on my wall for years. (And I have stories to back just about each one listed on the poster.)

I don't like Murphy's Laws.

Too often they are referenced for an explanation for poor planning and poor design.

I hate to rain on the 'fun' your having. But Murphy's Laws are discouraging and disheartening. If they serve 'any' good, it is only to remind where to focus attention so that Murphy's Laws are exceptions and not rules or 'laws'.

I hope the question as to whether they should be taught was intended to be a joke. Even if it was; it's not funny.

I hope this does not cause hurt feelings, but Murphy's Laws are for the birds - and the bird-brained.

Massey:

Accordingly...you don't deserve a rebuttal.

We do our best to the utmost of our abilities...then we should relax and enjoy life. Have fun with the little things...such as Murphy and Dilbert.

Heh-heh....laughing just because...

Massey, I sort of agree. But "what can go wrong will go wrong" is a useful attitude to keep in mind when design a system. It is after all the philosophy behind FMEAs, which have probably saved more lives in the auto industry than airbags (WAG).

Cheers

Greg Locock

Massey,

Good Post. I agree absolutely that "Murphy's Laws" should not be used as an explanation for poor planning, design and execution. I simply regard "Murphy's Laws" as a humourous way to remind ourselves that we are not infallible. On a daily basis within my line of work (sometimes before I even arrive at work), I encounter situations in which at least one of the Laws is appropriate. The greatest designs in the world can be rendered worthless if they are poorly produced. If I could not retain a sense of humor when everything around me is going out of control [flush2], I wouldn't survive in this business. From an educational standpoint, I believe that a little humor can help drive a point home [hammer]. I think a professor or any instructor who can use multiple ways to bring a point across (including humor) is much more effective as a teacher compared to someone who throws the information out there and hopes some of it sticks.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back