Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

"Type 5" Valvetrain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivymike

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2000
US
Anyone know what a "type 5" valvetrain is? I've got a guy at work with a question about a "type V valvetrain with an intermediate pushrod and rocker arm."

Presumably if there's a "type V" valvetrain, there are other types as well... I'd really appreciate a brief list of what these types are (I thru V and higher).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have noticed that at least one version of a Bosch manual refers to valvetrain types 1..4, which are the following:

1) OHV pushrod system (cam-lifter-pr-rocker-valve)
2) OHV/OHC system (cam-rocker-valve)
3) OHV/OHC with multiple rockers (cam-rocker-valve)
4) OHV/DOHC direct attack system (cam-bucket follower-valve)

Are these considered "standard valvetrain-type numbers?"

I have seen an OHC motor that used two rocker arms per valve. There is one rocker riding the cam, with a pushrod going to the second rocker arm, which actuates the valve. I'm pretty sure it was an early 90's honda 2.7 V6. The intake valves were driven directly off the cam with one rocker arm, while the exhaust valves were driven using the two rocker/one pushrod setup.

Other possibles for type 5.

The Rover inline 6,one cam with bucket inlet and rocker exhaust.

More likely the BMW boxer,cam in head,with pushrod and rocker.

Perhaps I should be more clear about what I'm interested in, as I can see that my initial posts seem to have spawned some confusion:

I'm not looking for guesses as to what "intermediate pushrod and rocker arm" means, as I think the name is pretty descriptive (although I didn't know of any examples, thanks NickB), or guesses as to what "type V" might be.

I'm interested in knowing whether there is any standard numbering convention out there for the different valvetrain configurations, and what types of valvetrains correspond to the various numbers. (a definitive answer, such as "this organization put out a list of valvetrain types, and here they are" or "Ford refers to this as type 1, this as type 2, this other thing as type 3, something else as type 4, and type 5 is like so.")

Type 1: Direct Acting Cam- cam>bucket>valve
Tyep 2: Finger Follower Type - cam>end pivot rocker arm roller>valve
Type 3: Center pivot rocker arm - cam>center pivot rocker arm> valve
Type 4: Cam>lifter>rocker arm>valve
Type 5: Cam>lifter>pushrod>rocker arm>valve

Examples

Type 1: Porsche Variotech technology
Type 2: Ford modular
Type 3: Honda VTEC
Type 4: Generaly not used
Type 5: Small block chevy, big block chevy, small block MoPar, etc.

Hope this helps.

Ivymike;

If you look in the June 2002 edition of "Engine Technology International" on Page 64, there is an article on valve trains by my erstwhile collegue David Turner, now at Eaton Corp. Page 66 illustrates the various types, as the earlier post indicated.

PJGD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back