Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

R-12 vs R134a 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwmob

Mechanical
Oct 22, 2002
US
Is there any way to differentiate between the two (in an a/c system)? I bought a '89 Blazer with a new compressor and accumulator/dryer and it's low. I don't want to add the wrong type and lock up the compressor. I'm too lazy to drain it and start all over. It doesn't have the larger quick-connect type fittings, but I find it hard to believe they put R-12 in it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well it looks as though you aren't aquainted with the different sizes in diameter that it requires to differentiate between r-12 valve and a r134-a valve.The r-12 are about as large around in diameter as an average pinky finger,and about an inch long off the line.whereas the r134-a is more the size of a bicycle or regular car valve stem and also stick out slightly atleast enough for a person to see this is usually the way to tell and any person doing a/c reputably anyway would not change anr-12 stem to fit a r134-a system so you should not have to worry about mixed parts.hope this helps good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back