Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

radius fillet cutout error

Status
Not open for further replies.

altnickee

Mechanical
Jun 22, 2005
NL
Hi,

i am having a error in my attempt to create a fillet
In the attachment a picture of my part.
The textbox explains on witch location I need my fillet of 30mm

Toolmaker

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Hoping that my part is posted correctly, and can be opened to explore / experiment with.
The fillet needs to be at the end of the ( cut extrude 2 & mirror)
Yes i have tried smaller fillets, op to 5mm radius fillet, no problem, but i want a 30mm radius fillet, because that's the radius of the mill that i have to make the actual cut.
I would like to post the complete part, hoping for a solution.
And how can i post a solidworks screenshot? also for future use.

thanks

Toolmaker

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=37996b2d-4dee-4055-9ad2-513ab2fdeb21&file=cilinder_part_for_forum.SLDPRT
Eltron ... faq559-1100 and faq559-1177 are now out of date (obsolete ?). I will try to update them this weekend.

Eng-Tips now has it's own file upload method.
See thread559-199827

[cheers]

The R30mm cannot be applied with the fillet tool because it would obliterate the end face of the recess. Except for the Full radius option, all faces involved in a fillet have to remain intact.

[cheers]

Thanks Jeff,

This is a great ” simple” answer to a my question ,especially because my “Solidworks technical English “ needs to learn a lot, so when I go to the SW help section, often the answer is more difficult to understand than the question!!
But thanks to the upload’s we can communicate without a language barrier!
I was wondering if I am the only SW user on this forum that likes to see how other people approach the way of making a part, like we say over here “There are many roads that leads to Rome”
Now we only have to find the Best/ /safest/ fastest method.
Thank again to all the positive reactions from all you guy’s

Toolmaker

I would get rid of the fillet and show the initial 30mm rad in the sketch. The fillet creates a compound surface that does not synch up with the reality of how the part will look when made with a grinding wheel.

Attached is my take on how to go about creating the cut-out. No different then Jeff's other then your first cut.

Cheers,

Anna Wood
SW 2007 SP4.0, WinXP
Dell Precision 380, Pentium D940, 4 Gigs RAM, FX3450

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back