Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Realistic straightness callout on turned threaded bar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emo01

Mechanical
Jun 30, 2017
GB
I am looking to get a piece of bar turned with two threads of different pitches (differential screw), there is to be an M8 and M10 thread and the piece is to be 90mm long.

Am I right in thinking run out cannot be specified as it threaded?

I want it to be very straight without specifying something unreasonable.

Am I right in thinking that 0.1 means 0.1mm per metre deviation of the axis?

Is straightness callout of 0.05 too tight????

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"0.1" only means 0.1mm per meter if you specify it as such.

Achieving low straightness deviations on threaded parts is not, in and of itself, very hard- but measuring them accurately can be.

Is this a production part to be made in high volume, or a one-off?

The other question is, what happens to you assembly if this part is very slightly over that (very tight) .05 tolerance?

There is way more deviation than that built into the thread- so what do you gain by spending a bunch of money to make this part super duper straight?

When you say "straight" do you really mean the Pitch Diameters of the threads needs to be functionally coaxial to each other?

If yes, I would suggest using the dimensioning schema in Fig 4-24, page 68 of Y14.5-2009, where no datum is used to control the location between two coaxial features

Certified Sr. GD&T Professional

Thanks for the replies.

It is to be a one off (or low vol. at least) and is part of a precision assembly.

It will be used to wind a dowel in and out, hopefully the clearance in the threads will be greater than any variation in straightness and concentricity etc. however I feel I want to specify something to ensure the part is made with precision.

As the part reasonably short at 90mm it should be possible to make it fairly accurately .

Emo01

Remember: Tolerancing defines acceptance criteria. How will the mfg or QA know if the part is "good" or "bad" if limits are not available. Trusting machinist and machine tools to make the part as good as or better than required is dangerous and may result in a pile of rework, or worse, scrap.

Certified Sr. GD&T Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back