Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rebuild symbol won't go away

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scorch

Mechanical
Feb 13, 2002
US
Is anybody having a rebuild symbol in the feature tree that just refuses to go away. I have a rebuild symbol on the top-level and one on a sub-assembly below, I expand the sub-assy and have a rebuild on a part file. Opened the part file did a rebuild and a Ctrl+Q, It keeps the symbol needing a rebuild. This has happened on 4 different workstations all on different Assy's. It doesn't seem to do any harm it is just annoying. It helps when you have a clean Feature Tree before you save. One of the systems is running sp 2 and the three others are running 1.1. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
--Howard Aiken, IBM engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Scorch,

It sounds like you might have a loop somewhere.

What I mean by loop is that Part A requires Part B to be updated, Part B requires Part C to be updated but Part C requires Part A to be updated. Therefore on the first rebuild, all parts are updated and changed. Because Part A is driven by Part C, you will get the rebuild needed shown in the feature tree since Part C was updated during the first rebuild.

The way to fix this problem is to find out where you have external references that is looping and delete them.

Hopefully this is clear.

I have seen this and it is usaully due to a circular reference like WorkingLife has pointed out.

Although I have seen this rebuild light appear on parts without in-contexted relationships. You will have to roll the part back until you find the feature causing the problem. repair the feature or sketch... hopefully it will not require you to remove it and remake it. The other thing you could try is to move it about the FM tree, maybe it's in the wrong spot and is causing the rebuild light?

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
3DVision Technologies

faq731-376
faq559-716 - SW Fora Users

This is a circular reference. I would check your subassemblies to see if you have one that is being used multiple times, with similar configurations. You may have to create a new configuration with a different name to remove the rebuild issue.

[green]"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers."[/green]
Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.
Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

The problem is solved. There was an unfold feature created and that is what was causing the problem, deleting the feature since it was no longer needed in this case fixed all. I will have to check some other assy's that had this problem and see if it was similar to this one. I appreciate the quick responses.

Thanks

Don't worry about people stealing your ideas. If your ideas are any good, you'll have to ram them down people's throats.
--Howard Aiken, IBM engineer

Our VAR told us that SolidWorks was aware of the problem and was working on it. But I have to agree with Scott, I have found that you must go back and check each feature and/or sketch. I had one model where the rebuild icon did not show up in the model until I expanded the tap to show the sketches. I had another model that if you deleted one of the features and did an undo, the rebuild icon would go away in the assembly (still trying to figure out what was wrong with the feature in the first place).

Regg

same here, little bugs that just bug you. Also I have noticed more of these things since upgrading to XP service pack 2, which my VAR said there are still unresolved issues. No crashes though.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back