Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

regenerative pump, head and flow rate calculations

Status
Not open for further replies.

osoloco

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2007
US
I am trying to calculate theoretical pump curves for a regenerative pump. I am doing an feasibility analysis. This type of pump is also referred to as a peripheral pump. These pumps are used in residential water systems and for automotive fuel pumps. They are used for high head, low flow conditions.

I have encountered papers by Meakhail & Park from Korea and Quail & Scanlon from Univ. of Strathclyde.

I would very much like formulae where I specify geometry, speed, fluid, and such and calculate head and flow.

Many thanks,
Douglas

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=29ffe7cd-e96a-4096-8c8b-3aa1cb861c38&file=regenerative_pump.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just how hard are you trying to calculate theoretical pump curves for a regenerative pump?? Sounds like you want someone else to do the work and you cut and paste your way home.

I could not find any threads on Eng-Tips for peripheral pumps. Regenerative pumps were mentioned in two threads. One only suggested that a regenerative pump may be a solution, the other, which I cannot locate this morning, indicated that almost no one who relpied was familiar with this type of pump. That is why I attached a drawing.
I found 3 early thesis papers from MIT from the 1950s which are very informative but do not indicate the relationship between flow rate, head, diameter and rotational speed of the impeller.
I have googled “prediction of flow rate for a regenerative pump”, ditto for peripheral pump, ditto for design equations.
I have searched Strathclyde's archives.
I have searched for the names of of the authors of the papers that I have mentioned
There is not site for peripheral or regenerative pumps on Wikipedia.
There are no theoretical information on peripheral pumps on the websites of EBARA nor Petrollo. I have used peripheral pumps from these manufacturers and the vendors do not understand the design equations that govern the performance of the pumps.
I have found a Chinese site discussing the effects to Reynolds number which did not yield any design equations.

In answer to your question, I have pretty much exhausted the resources that I have at the moment and have hoisted the white flag and do request any help that is available.
Douglas

Are trying to reinvent the wheel or do you have an existing pump and no performance curve?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

DubMac, thanks for the reply. Radial Vane Impellers are used in centrifugal pumps where the inlet is located at the centerline of the pump. The inlet of the peripheral pump is located at the periphery of the flow chamber on the opposite side of the stripper from the discharge port.

TenPenny, I have not seen this paper. I have downloaded it and will review it today. Thanks!

ProcessHVAC & Artisi, I am interested in if a peripheral pump will be suitable for speeds significantly lower that what is commercially available. I am away from my workshop or I would experiment.

thanks

Thanks for the lessons on regenerative turbine impellers.
When you say significant lower speed - what speed are you talking about?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Artisi, I am interested in a several hundred RPM. I am teasing out some of the esoteric details by comparing the Meakhail-Park paper and the MIT papers.... tedious.
Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back