Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Relay Suppression

Status
Not open for further replies.

nic00b

Electrical
Mar 29, 2009
NL
I am looking for information regarding relay suppresion. I have read about various different types that can be used, I'm curious what situations you would use the different types in. For example MOV's, Snubbers, Diodes etc.... Also how do you size the suppression correctly? I seem to get different answers from my colleagues and as im only two years out of my time i see it best to learn the correct ways now than "Wild Guessing".

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If it's an ac system there are as mentioned above MOV and RC types. One is for arc suppression for contact wear, and the other is for noise suppression I believe. Allen Bradley makes terminals that incorporate both of these devices. It should also be noted that these should be placed as close to the load as possible.

It should be noted that suppression can slow the drop out response of a relay. If that is a problem, some resistance can be added to the diode in DC applications. The automotive industry has be going to using just parallel resistors to reduce noise and reliability. We had one noise sensitive application and resistors sized at 10X coil resistance produced the lowest noise.

Here's my quick and dirty rule (for AC control systems).

MOVs protect the device from problems in the circuit.
RC Snubbers protect the circuit from problems in the device.

Not universally true of course, but it works.

By the way, I dislike MOVs in general because of their failure mode. I have spent a LOT of time and money cleaning up messes caused by vaporized MOVs.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Hi jraef i recently come across MOV's on our syncdrive motor and it was literally blown to pieces...Primarily are plant is DC and we have had problems in certain areas with interface relays when the diodes have been used (Im guessing the diodes affect coil dropout)

I had some MOVs vaporize on Medium Voltage Soft Starters when an up-stream event sent a massive spike down the line. Then when the plant operator (ex operator) panicked and re-closed the plant feeder without checking anything, the vaporized MOV materials still in the boxes provided a flash over path inside the starters and took them all out with a somewhat spectacular, albeit brief, fireworks show. $250,000 mistake, not counting down time.

Yes, I know that's not the fault of the MOVs, they were just doing their job. But still, their mode of "sacrifice" left a little to be desired.

"If I had eight hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend six sharpening my axe." -- Abraham Lincoln
For the best use of Eng-Tips, please click here -> faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back