Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Rendering object & polyline

Status
Not open for further replies.

MKV

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2002
DE
Hello
I have created a 3D object (in Autocad 2000) consisting of different parts. I have rendered each part by selecting different types of materials (Red glass, Blue glass etc.) to make it transparent. Now I have set of 3d lines which propagate inside the object. When I render the object, the whole material becomes transparent but the 3d lines are not visible. My purpose is to show what is happening inside the material. So, is there a way out to make them visible?

Thanking you
Vijayendra

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear Vijayendra,
The RENDER command just renders the 3D objects and
faces (and circles).

In AutoCAD 2000 you can draw narrow Regions instead
of lines. You have to unselect the "Discard back
faces" option in "3D Graphics System Configuration"
dialog box (refer to below instructions).

In AutoCAD 2002 if you do not use the textured
materials, you can use the SHADEMODE command to see
the line objects in the rendered view. You have to
set the required options before enter the SHADEMODE
command.
1. Enter the OPTIONS command
2. Activate the "System" tab
3. Click on the "Properties" button to open the
"3D Graphics System Configuration" dialog box
4. Select the "Render options"
5. Select the "Enable materials"
6. Click on the "Apply & Close" button
7. Click on the "OK" button
8. Enter the SHADEMODE command
9. Enter the "Gouraud" option

I checked the textured materials and they could not
be shown transparantly using the SHADEMODE command.
Anybody has an idea?

:)
Farzad

This is a drawing I did for our site.

I added the pole inside for this demo only. By looking through the window you can see a column. Is this basically what you are trying to do(with different objects of course, but same idea).
If so one thing you may be having problems with is the lighting. If you place the lighting in the wrong place or make them too intense it can obscure the inner objects. Other than that I had no problems showing objects through a transparent material. I used blue glass for this one.

Hello
Thanks to FH and CADKID for their suggestions.
FH's suggestions works fine but because of the shading pattern the inner details are not very clear.
Thanks to CADKID for the enclosed drawing. Yes - in this case it works because the cylinder is a 3d object. Any object that has area and buried inside another object can be made visible by adjusting transparence factor. But in my case I have three different materials welded together. I have bundle of 3d poly lines propagating inside the material which I am animating. My object is to make this animation visible in a rendered object. As I said in my earlier message, as soon as I render the object, the lines are no longer visible.

Thanks once again for the suggestions.
Vijayendra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back