Status
Not open for further replies.

mjsamman

Mechanical
Nov 22, 2008
SA
Hi All,

when repairing or replacing new fuel line,
is there any precaution to cut the old line?.
which standard shall I refer to?
General speaking: what preparation shall be done to cut fuel line?

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dear mjsamman,

Obtain hot job permit from Operations (they would give it after adequate draining and purging).

Carry out Hudrogen bakeout at the locations you need to cut (in case of partial replacement).

Follow ASME B 31.3 for the rest.

Regards.

DHURJATI SEN

Thanks Mr. Sen,

actually, I went through All ASME concerning piping but I did not find any statement or specific procedure and precaution on how to replace old hydrocarbon piping.
regards

To replace the existing process piping, it may need to involve all the parties, such as the engineering, operation, as well as maintenance. The new piping needs to be complied with eh Code and Standard, and the replacement work needs to follow the procedures as specified by O&M in terms of the safety.

Be careful even if you got a hot permit to cut/weld a fuel gas line. I had seen a terrible incident where the welder went on flames even after operation tested the line gas free.
Positive isolation is a must and all pockets such as valve (between seats) must be vented/drained. Bottom line, don’t take any chance with fuel lines. Check with operation the possibility of internal build-up and it’s flammability.

GDD
Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back