Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Retaining NX preferences and settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dudeman555

Automotive
Feb 10, 2006
US
NX 7.5 does not retain the user settings and preferences. Every morning I must re-establish these settings.
I noticed the file that stores the settings (userdefaults.dpv) on my local gets over-written when starting our integration software. My custom file gets replaced with whatever is loading from the server.
Also, the only available default level in Customer Defaults is “user”.
I asked our IT dept. about this and they told me the follow:

“There is no way to change the local user settings to be set when NX integration is being used.

When ECTR is called (software used for NX Integration), it copies the Server installation to the local installation to rid of inconsistencies. The only way is to update the Server installation's user settings, but that would affect all users at site location.”
Are they correct? Must I re-establish my preferences and settings each day I log in?
Or is there a work-around?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We start NX in managed mode using a batch file which sets all the variables.
The other way is to start TC and then launch NX from it.
Which method are you using? Is ECTR a batch file?

The batch file also copies each users settings from the server at launch back to the local machine, and when they exit NX it copies their settings back to the server. This way no matter what computer they log into their settings follow them.
See below for the batch file we use for NX8 and TC.

@echo off

rem Line below added to prevent wave license error message.
set UGII_DONT_ACTIVATE_GATEWAY_NAVIGATOR=1

set TC_ROOT=C:\UGSPLM\Teamcenter\TC83UA
set TC_DATA=\\dellserver3\volumes\TCENG\WMTI_83UA_tcdata

rem set environment variables for UGNX
set UGII_BASE_DIR=C:\UGSPLM\NX 8.0
set UGII_ROOT_DIR=C:\UGSPLM\NX 8.0\UGIIset UGII_ENV_FILE=T:\nx_config\startup\ugii_env8.dat
set UGII_REUSE_ENABLE_CUSTOMIZED_DESCRIPTIVE_NAME=1
set UGII_UGDOC_BASE_DIR=I:\UGSPLM\NX 8.0\ugdoc

set UGII_SMP_ENABLE=1

rem below allows for multiple BOM in a drawing.
set UGII_UPDATE_ALL_ID_SYMBOLS_WITH_PLIST=0

rem below sets the F1-F4 keys to behave as I-Deas
set UGII_FKEY_DYNAMICS=1

rem variables below are for plotting.
set UGII_SDI_BPS_JOBS_DIR=C:\TEMP
set UGII_SDI_OVERRIDE_HOME=C:\TEMP
set UGII_SDI_SERVER_CFG_DIR=T:\NX_Config\NX_Plot

set FMS_HOME=%TC_ROOT%\fcc
set JAVA_HOME=%TC_ROOT%\portal\jre

call %TC_DATA%\tc_profilevars.bat

echo d | xcopy "\\dellserver3\team\NX_Config\copy_to_clients\ugsplm\nx 8.0" "c:\ugsplm\nx 8.0" /y /e /r /f

echo d | xcopy "\\dellserver3\team\master\UGS\NX80\%username%" "%userprofile%\Local Settings\application data\Unigraphics Solutions\NX80" /y /e /r /f
rem cls

cd /d %TEMP%
set UGS_LICENSE_SERVER=28000@TCENG
call "C:\UGSPLM\NX 8.0\UGMANAGER\ugmanager"

echo d | xcopy "%userprofile%\Local Settings\application data\Unigraphics Solutions\NX80" "\\dellserver3\team\master\UGS\NX80\%username%" /y /e /r /f

Regards
Jurgen Kreisel
NX8 Win7 TC8.3

Okay, it sounds like there are work arounds for this. I'll speak with my IT dept. and see if there's a
batch file they can create for us. Thank You

You need to create your own userdefaults.dpv in your home directory and run it after you start NX and the corporate script overwrites their files.

As an admin, I always caution my users to be careful they don't change some setting that we want as a corporate default. NX can run the *.dpv files from various locations with the latter files changing any defaults set by earlier file reads. Be sure you understand the heirarchy of these file reads and place yours in the last read location.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Looslib, how do I "RUN" the userdefaults.dpv file? I was able to save off a userdefaults.dpv to my desktop. Then I tried using it to replace the one that the system gives me; thinking I'll let it give me what it wants then I'll just replace it with my personal copy. That worked with little success.

Okay I was just informed we don't run native NX. It is in fact an ECTR installation which overwrites the user setting; apparently ECTR forces its configuration over to the client. So then is there any work-around that I can perform on my end. Maybe replace the file it sends me with a saved version of userdefaults.dpv on my local machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back