Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Right PQR for an specified WPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

wayuu1981

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2006
CO
A contractor is about to perform some site welds on reheater tubes of a 150MW coal fired boiler, the tubes are 2" diameter and 0.135, 0.150 thickness, my concern is:

The WPS specifies "ALL" for position of groove, but, the PQR sent by contractor was perform on a 1/4" thick plate in a 3G position uphill.

The site welds will be at F,V,H & O position (3G and 5G), then, according to QW-452.3 and QW-461.9, the PQR sent by contractor only qualify the WPS for groove welds in Flat position and tubes with diameter not less 2-7/8" (73mm).

1. Do I need to ask the contractor for a new PQR to qualify the tube diameter and welds position? or, is there any section of code allowing me to use this PQR?

2. The welders was qualified a week ago using the same size and materials of tubes to be welded at site in 6G position. based on their WPQ, can we get a new PQR for this WPS?

Javier Guevara E.
Projects, Mechanical Engineer
TERMOGUAJIRA - GECELCA S.A. E.S.P.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back