ring stiffeners on flat head & axial stiffeners on cone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jagmtr

Mechanical
May 9, 2018
IN
Hello everyone.

I have cone with flat head closure. I need to place ring stiffener on flat head & axial stiffeners on cone section for external pressure. I am attaching figures for better understanding.

I am not getting any clause for such stiffeners in ASME section viii div 1. please suggest me is there in any clause?

with best regards,

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=f628f61d-ddac-4951-a555-54ae369e5af6&file=Capture13.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jagmtr, no rules under Div 1 so far as I know to address this design. You will need to use "other means" :)

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Axial stiffeners offer nothing in terms of preventing buckling of a shell or a cone. There is a reason they are not shown in ASME VIII-1.

Thanks guys for your kind response.

I can consider circumferential stiffeners for cone which design is possible as per code.

Can you suggest me any analytical method for flat head stiffeners design?

Hi guys

I am using PVelite software for my design.

when i am considering cone to cylinder shell junction as a line of support, my cone thickness is increasing very much. I understand that it is only due to moment of inertia requirement of junction. It is only our choice to choose junction as a Line of support & not mandatory. Am i correct?

when i applying circumferential stiffeners on my cone, cone thickness is not reducing. I am not getting why it is so?

Jagmtr, I understand standard UL-142 has design guides for stiffeners \on flat heads, I can't confirm. It looks to be quite expensive. One of the books by Blodgett may have something as well.

Based on the sketches you provided I have doubts that your cone design meets the scope of Sec VIII, Div 1. I refer to the half-apex angle, the joint details between the cone-cyl and cone-head junctions. See UG-32-(f), UG-36(e), Apx 1-5(g), UW-3(b), Table UW-12, Type (8).

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back