Status
Not open for further replies.

Xeros

Materials
Dec 5, 2006
KR
Dear all.

Hi, i'm Xeros.

Our Client request the Third party Expert/Agency for RBI/CRAS study. I have studied the API 581 and the related document.

However, I have no idea because of no experience. I understand somewhat, but I don't know what I do.

Could recommended the company for consulting the third party Expert/Agency for RBI/CRAS study.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You can contact Capstone Engineering in Houston, they are one of the leaders in RBI studies for chemical,oil and off shore.
I'm not an employee, we have used them several times in our chemical plants and have been impressed with their expertise

RBI is, essentially, a flexible strategy and methodology that a number of refineries will no doubt be using to varying degrees of success. It is not a proprietary concept. What is proprietary is the software developed to interpret the strategy and methodology.

Any NDT method you like is covered by RBI - what counts is its suitability, effectiveness and reliability for detecting and measuring the degradation that materials and corrosion engineers say is a threat.

Steve Jones
Materials & Corrosion Engineer

Xeros,

Is your company currently using inspection software like PCMS? Switching to RBI is a major undertaking, and whoever does your RBI study will also be trying to sell you their software. We use one of the companies mentioned above, and let me tell you it wasn't cheap, but we needed to start from scratch a number of years ago and database conversion wasn't as big an issue as it could have been. If you've been using PCMS you'll obviously want to look at their RBI module, or you could look into the API-RBI version, or any one of the other software programs mentioned above. The important thing to take into consideration is that the software is compatible with your current data or you'll spend a lot more time and money trying to convert it over.

If done correctly, you'll save lots of money on inspection activities and catch little problems before they become big problems. But you have to buy into the RBI philosophy and not just pay it lip service, or you'll just be wasting your money. The intent of RBI is to prioritize your inspection activities by risk (hence the name) rather than just by time based intervals (like with PCMS).

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back