Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

road load total, compressors reciprocating 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venezueladq

Petroleum
Feb 15, 2013
VE
hello, I would like to know how ARIEL is carried out and takes into account to estimate the road load total en the cylinders of simple and double action...??

I´ll appreciate your help !!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Compressors are not terribly heavy, so the "road load" is not much for an 18 wheeled trailer.

I bet you meant "Rod Load", but I don't know what you mean by
Venezueladq said:
I would like to know how ARIEL is carried out
Are you asking how Ariel Performance works? Are you asking how to calculate rod load?

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

rod load is based on forces exerted on piston rod. the forces are inertial (acceleration of piston/rod x mass of piston + portion of rod) and due to the pressure difference on both sides of the piston. the pressure forces vary with crank angle and cylinder clearance. forces due to pressure are simple to compute (piston area x pressure).

Ariel program, if i remember, has the explanation included in the "Help" menu.

good luck!
-pmover

pmover,

thanks you for the information, and yes, in the "help" menu includes the explanation about rod load for compression and tension, my question is about Rod load "TOTAL", they say that it is a sum between compression and tension ,but not algebraic, then how is this sum?

This is probably the best paper for understanding rod load and the different interpretations of that phrase that various compressor OEMS exercise.
Link

Ariel calculates internal gas load in both tension and compression, which is a part of the API-618 defined MACCRL rod load. Their total rod load really has no meaning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back