Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

RoHS compliance note on drawings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAMIS

Mechanical
Aug 31, 2000
US
We are required to place a RoHS compliance note on the drawing of every part that comprises an assembly that we sell as RoHS compliant.
The note we have been using may be a bit ambiguous and I was wondering what other people use as their standard note. We use:
ALL MATERIAL, HARDWARE AND FINISH USED IN THE MANUFACTURE OF THIS ITEM SHALL BE ROHS COMPLIANT
That seems to imply that even the tooling used must be compliant and it may not be specific enough as to what level of compliance or which edict it complies with.
What do you use?
Thanks,
Jim

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At best you might get the delivered items to be compliant, but it is weird there's no particular specification called out for compliance. Looking at this it seems like this is just pushing the design problem farther down the chain to people less capable of determining compliance.

We as designers are responsible for being certain that the materials we call for parts to be made of are in compliance and the drawings go out with requirements for certs. But these edicts for notes come down from above and sometimes make more sense to management than the people who have to apply them. That is why I was hoping other people would post what notes they use so i could present them as a better option.

Seems like you need to talk with your legal team to see what they think will protect the company for a non-compliance lawsuit, because this is not a technical problem. Throw in a note that no materials taken from animals on any endangered species list are to be used.

It's crappy that a business decision is being pushed to engineering. My guess is they don't know and don't want to give up an hour of ESPN or Netflix to do their job and find out, but will be outraged if the note you put on there ends up increasing prices in any way.

"FINISHED ARTICLE SHALL COMPLY WITH ROHS & WEEE REGULATIONS."

Mostly used on cables, circuit boards and the like to ensure they don't use solder with lead in it etc.

Rarely used on mechanical parts, where applicable we make sure our finish notes call out the ROHS version of Chem Film coatings etc.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

IAMIS,

On most of my aluminium parts, I specify CHEMICAL FILM ROHS COMPLIANT. There are products that meet this requirement. Otherwise, I call up material which either is RoHS compliant, or it is not. If I call up lead or beryllium and I demand RoHS compliance, the fabricator is in a quandary.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back