Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Roof Turbines

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel

Mar 7, 2000
CA
I have one of those 'whirligig' roof turbines on my house. Infact, everyone on my street has one, some even have two. What is the advangage of these things? <p>Nigel Waterhouse<br><a href=mailto:nigelw@flightcraf t.ca>nigelw@flightcraf t.ca</a><br><a href= Flightcraft</a><br>A licensed aircraft mechanic and a proffessional engineer, who attended university in England and graduated in 1996. Currenty living in British Columbia,Canada and working for Kelowna Flightcraft as a design engineer responsible for aircraft mods and STC

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here's my take on those things-

The whirly thing creates an air flow that removes the heat buildup in the attic space. The passing wind accross the vanes provides additional force to rotate the whirly head that is linnked to a fan blade mounted in the throat.

In the absence of any wind, the rising hot air will also provide some driving force to make the whirly thing go.

All Roofs leak. All roofs must be vented to keep them dry. Also as stated by &quot;scottengr&quot; to let heat out in the summer and winter.

The builders that built your home, and those of your neighbors, may also be using the attic space as a way to vent the combustion air from the furnace or the water heater.

Hopefully,they are not using the attic for venting combustion air into and then using the turbine fans to vent out. Definitely not something that sounds right to me. To pull the heat out from the attic space is correct. I would hope the vents from the furnace and water heater are piped directly through the roof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back