Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Round Threads 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mullins

Mechanical
May 25, 2007
US
I am working with a weak composite where I have to drill a hole and tap it. From there I have to make a plug from the same material to fill the hole. Due to how brittle the material is I cannot use a standard UNC thread. I have looked into using ACME threads but my manager suggests a round thread similar to those found on a light bulb where there is not a sharp corner. Does anyone know what kind of thread this is? Or something similar?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your best option might be to design your own thread which means screw cutting your own plugs and making your own tap -not a particularly difficult undertaking.

We had an old component at my last place that actually used a thread form similar to on plastic bottles etc, can't remember the details but it was rounded as it was actually a deformed sheet metal part.

If I recall correctly you can have a radius at the root of UN threads by choosing UNR (think that's right) but it probably isn't enough of a rad for what you're dealing with.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

What are the materials in the composite? Do I understand correctly the plug is the same composite and remains solid?If I was filling the hole with a solid plug I'd just roughen and clean both items and bond the plug in place. Tapping glass type composites just seems to mess up the glass fibers in the material.

Granted I have little experience with composites, as well as the material being discussed is currently proprietary. I can say that it is no a glass based composite and the reason which a sealed plug in not being used is because the material has a limited lifespan and we are trying to minimize replacement time and complexity.

Thanks everyone for your advice. I think I have the problem under control.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back