Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

RPN Calculator? RIP HP 35s 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

cosmology

Mechanical
May 20, 2009
US
Was going to bop over to amzn and buy another HP 35s after I lost one recently. Turns out they are several hundred dollars now. The other HP model doesn't appear to do RPN. Has this gone the way of the Dodo? Are there any calculators out there that do RPN? Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here are some suggestions:

HP-15C Collector's Edition - I bought one a few months ago from thecalculatorstore.com. I'm in California and the vendor is in Europe, but I got it in less than a week. It's a very nice machine. The original HP-15C was the enhanced successor to the HP-34C that I used late in my college career and early in my civil engineering career (I graduated in 1980). This is my primary calculator at home for quick number crunching.

Swiss Micros DM32 - This is a new machine that is based on the HP-32SII. The HP-35S is also based on the HP-32SII, but with some functional enhancements, so the DM32 may or may not fit your needs. I have an HP-32SII that I bought primarily to add to my collection. I also have an HP-35S, which I think is only an "OK" calculator compared to most of the other HPs that I have.

Swiss Micros DM41X - This calculator is based on the venerable HP-41CX and includes many enhancements. The HP-41CX was my daily driver for about 6 years, then my backup when I switched to the HP-42S. I now use the DM41X as a back up for my DM42 (see next).

Swiss Micros DM42 - This calculator is based on the Free42 simulator by Thomas Okken, which in turn is based on the HP-42S but without any HP code. The DM42 also includes many enhancements. The HP-42S was my daily driver for 29 years and now it's been the DM42 for about 7 years.

I like to program my calculators and I have written quite a few programs for the types of problems I routinely encounter in my civil engineering career. Because of this, I prefer the 41CX/42S family over the other calculators I mentioned above. I never warmed to RPL programming, but I still dink around with it from time-to-time on my HP-48G+ and HP-50g. For quick number crunching, I am finding that the HP-15C CE is my favorite.

============
"Is it the only lesson of history that mankind is unteachable?"
--Winston S. Churchill

I use an old 15 on my desk but the one that I carry is a SwissMicro.
I like it a lot and would recommend going that route.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

If you've got a smartphone, you can surely put almost any vintage hp calculator on there for free as an app.

I'm using emu48 to get a working HP48GX emulator on my android phone. The stored programs / variables can be backed up collectively as an e48 file and restored when needed (even on a different phone). It also copies text from the calculator stack to phone clipboard, and pastes text from the phone clipboard to the calculator stack. That's pretty neat imo.

I'm using an HP48GX app on my android phone as well. My HP48GX died after 31 years but I've been using the app for several years now anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back