RT stamping on nameplate

Status
Not open for further replies.

QC3

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2011
CA
Hi everyone,

I have been given a construction drawing by our engineering dept. and it shows RT4 on the nameplate facimile. Could I peform additional radiography (eg. full radiography / RT1) and still stamp RT4 on the nameplate after the hydro test?

The example I have given is quite impractical/expensive but I have a disagreement with a client. He is quoting UG-116(e) but I disagree with him; as the manufacturer, is it not our perogitive in terms of what NDE is done? ie. could we not go above and beyond what the Code requires?

Thanks very much

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Agreed.

No point to performing full radiography with no added benefit. The client won't pay for it, and neither will the manufacturer. No reason to needlessly annoy the customer, either...

The CODE does not require any particular amount of radiography (except in circumstances of Lethal service, some materials, thickness, etc)
It does however, require that the stamping reflects the the design of vessel. It does not disallow extra NDE.
Somewhere in the calculations and/or drawings, the amount of radiography should be called out for each seam and it should readibly be clear why the RT-4 designation is being used.

Thanks everyone,

I had spoken to our A.I.A. and they basically reinterated what everyone is saying. The guy did make a good point though: by doing additional radiography, you're inviting the opportunity for the RT tech to call a repair.

I disagree. per UG-116(e) you will stamp the RT performed. if the vessel requires no RT you may not indicate it, even if you do RT4 or RT1
but if you will stamp it, then per Code you are obligated to stamp the RT performed. and It will not hurt anyone.
If the vessel requires only RT4 then you get to choose the spots that you like. Unless the weld is such a mess on some parts then providing RT1 will show it. If you are sure of your welding not a problem.
Yes the RT1 may hit a rejection vs RT4 but you may talk to you NDE to report it as RT4 and pass! if that is the only requirement.
its not ilegal...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back