Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Running NX6 & NX5 together 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lunar7

Automotive
Jul 20, 2007
NZ
If I want to try this are there any tricks I need to be aware of?

Would it be best to start each from a separate batch file?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I use batch files and often have several different versions running at one time (earlier today I had NX 3, NX 5 and NX 6 open at one time verifying that a regression truly was). In fact, before the installs started to add separate items to the Windows 'Start' menu, this was the only way that you could get multiple versions to run at one time (a holdover from the days of UNIX) and while I COULD launch my NX sessions from the 'Start' menu I never do so I like to keep totally separate default directories (which since the advent of Customer Defaults is now done there), but it's just an old habit that has worked well for me over the years and so I continue with because of flexibility and simplicity it affords me.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

OK,

So with a litte playing around I have got both NX5 & NX6 running on WINXP32, each runs a batch file that sets the required environment variables.

I have also changed the file association so that if you double click on a *.prt it runs the NX5 batch file.

The problem is although it runs NX5 it is not opening the part. Does anyone have any hints how I can get this to work?

Thank you in advance for any help

Hi!

I would like to use nx4 and nx6 together. Please put the link, which is show me, how I configure/create my batch file under windows.

thanks,
JR

Attached is a sample of the basic content of the batch files that use to launch NX. What I do is a place shortcut to this file on my desktop and I launch NX by just double-clicking this file. Note that since this file will launch a command prompt window which will remain active while your next session is running, that once I have the shortcut icon on my desktop I edit it's properties so that it runs 'Minimized' as that makes it less obvious and keeps it out of way. And as long as when you end your NX session, there are no errors during shutdown, the minimized command prompt window will be closed automatically.

I also included in the zip file a .dll which is as nice looking NX 'icon' that you can assign under the 'Change Icon...' option in the properties dialog for the shortcut file. It just adds a little class to your desktop and makes it easier to find your NX launch files.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Cypress, CA

After you've created your shortcut (which points to the .bat file) and placed it on your desktop, select it and press MB3 and go to 'Properties'. You will see a button labeled 'Change Icon...'. Select it and then hit the browse button and find and select the .dll file, and then hit OK there and then once more at the next level. It may take refreshing the desktop, but the icon on your desktop should now look like the attached image.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Cypress, CA

Hi John,

many thanks.

Hi all,

Sorry for any inconvience, although the topic is gone about nx5 & nx6 using together, but I would like to use nx4 instead of nx5 and nx6 together. But I have a problem with port number diversity. Nx4 use 27000 port number, but the higher versions use 28000 yet. So the windows have any enviroment variables, which are important for UG between windows communication. How I create the batch file which set the desired nx version able to run? I installed first the nx4 obviously, and the flexlm use 27000 port number, but the nx6 require 28000 port number.

thanks,
jrm

Create two BAT files, one for each version.

In the NX4 one, you need to set : UGII_LICENSE_FILE=27000@yourserver

In the NX5 (or NX6) one, you need to set : UGS_LICENSE_SERVER=28000@yourserver

Specialty Engineered Automation (SEA)
a UGS Foundation Partner

You also have to have installed and have running license servers for BOTH versions NX 4 (and older) and NX 5 (and newer). As mentioned already, the NX 4 license server uses port 27000 while the NX 5 server uses port 28000 (this is so that they can actually be run simultaneously).

This works fine as I'm currently got on my laptop V16.0/V17.0/V18.0/NX 1/NX 2/NX 3/NX 4/NX 5/NX 6 and can have any combination of these versions up and running at any one time.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
NX Design
Cypress, CA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back