Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

SA-387 9 Chrome Plate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Afox88

Chemical
Dec 9, 2014
US
Hi Guys,

I am designing a unit to ASME Section VIII-1 that is 9 Cr-Mo. I found all the other forms in Section II-D but the stress values are not there for plate. I checked in Section II-A under SA-387 and I did find grade 9 so it is an approved material.

Any thoughts or ideas how I am to perform calculations on this material form?

Please advise,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SA-387-91, 9 Cr-1 MO-V? Pg 46, lines 25, 26.

A material must be listed and permitted in Sec II, Part D for a given Sec & Div to be used under the same. Presence in a material spec is not relevant.

Regards,

Mike

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

So my understanding is that SA-387 Grade 9, which is readily used in refineries for pressure vessel materials in high temp application, is wrongfully used?

Grade 91 is a different material with a different P-no. It is not really interchangeable.

I have contacted my inspection agency for their thoughts.

SA 387 Gr 9 plate material is not listed for allowable stress values. You cannot use this material specification Grade for pressure retaining service UNLESS a code case has been issued.

metengr is right. ASME SA387 Gr.9 plate is not within the jurisdiction of ASME BPVC Section VIII Division 1. It can't be used. I also did a thorough search on Code Cases - 2015 Edition. So far nothing regarding 9Cr-1Mo is found. However, I have a question: when a new edition of code Cases is released with the BPVC, shall all old editions be treated as "obsolete" automatically?

Not sure what you mean as obsolete. ASME Code Cases are published based on need and when new revisions are issued for a Code Case they can be used for new construction at the time they are issued. Previous code case revisions do not apply.

SA-387 Grade 9 had previously been in the Code then it was removed and again readmitted. Now they have removed it again. I suggest you contact the appropriate Code Committee for guidance,

I was advised by my AI that under the rules of UG-15(a), we are allowed to qualify SA-387 9Cr based on the values of a different product form of 9Cr (ex. SA-213 T9 tubing). Therefore, we would be able to use SA-387 9Cr for this exchanger.

My customer has allowed me to use Grade 91 Chrome for all materials so this point is moot, but I thought I would follow up with you guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back