Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Save Drawing CGM Data

Status
Not open for further replies.

BOPdesigner

Mechanical
Nov 15, 2005
US
In the NX 5 and 6 Save Options, there is a check to have the drawing CGM data saved when you save your drawing I presume. Does this work in naive mode or only with Teamcenter? I have it set in Teamcenter but when I click on the viewer tab in the rich client the CGM data does not show up like the JT data does for the part file. Another user was wanting it to work in native mode today also.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think there is something like that which I could be possible in teamcentre when the file is baselined or released. I'm certain that it can be set up to save the JT files to the item master at that stage, but nor 100% sure that I know whether the same could be said of CGM files. Anyway that is the first line of enquiry that I'd pursue.

The second idea I have for you in that vein is that you can write a journal or macro to be placed under a toolbar icon or user exit that may be helpful in maintaining such a system for you. Doing the same with teamcentre presents its own problems again because you'd want to update the saved contents to an file stored under the item master. That becomes more complex and while I'm seeing the how and why mostly I'm seeing problems and hopefully they alone suggest where to start looking for the right solutions.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

Ok thanks. F1 on the save options dialog suggests that the CGM gets published to a Quick Access Folder (QAF). So I didn't know if that was something that you had to set/configure somewhere that would allow it to work in native mode.

Hi BOPdesigner,

'Save Drawing CGM Data' Save option only works in Teamcenter, which will generates a .qaf file, do you see .qaf file under the namedreferences of your UG NX dataset for which you generated a CGM with the Save option turned on? if yes, the CGM file was generated successfully and your portal viewer settings need some tewaks for visualization.

Do you have Teamcenter Visualization software (Vis Pro or Vis Mockup) installed on your box? if yes you could try launching these CGMs with by double click.

To get the similar functionality in native mode, one has to write a custom UGOPEN program and associate that function with Save (Ctr+S) button for automatic CGM generation/update.

Ram

If I right click on the drawing in TcE and select Named references then yes I have a .qaf file, but it is not shown under the dataset in the tree like the JT file is for the Solid model. So I must need to tweak something. I don't have the standalone visualization installed. Only installed Engineering Visualization by running TEM and adding to the Rich Client.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back