Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Searching for supplier that sells mircoturbines (*micro-braytoncycle

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountZero

Mechanical
May 15, 2003
CA
I have a problem finding a supplier that sells microturbines (i.e. brayton or rankine cycle) or even a stirling engine that can withstand high temperatures (i.e. T > 300 deg C). This engine is to be used in estimating the solar thermal flux impinging on a 3-d parabolic collector. This engine should only be heated via solar energy: i.e. no hydrocarbon fuels or other substitutes used as a heat source. Like I said before, this engine will be used to estimate the solar flux so it doesn't have to be the most precise instrument on the market.

If anyone has ideas, I would very much appreciate anything you can give me.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What do you mean by conventional means? Photovoltaic?

I want to use a micro engine because I want to determine the efficiency of converting solar thermal into useful electrical energy. Apparently, a solar stirling system can have efficiencies of ~40%, whereas a PV is ~10-18% efficient.

Once you calibrate the sensor, you're measuring the real quantity, the quantum efficiency is not relevant.

You can also use a calorimeter

TTFN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back