Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Self Teach - FEMAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

POPEYES

Structural
Mar 15, 2019
US
What is the best resource for an engineer to teach themselves FEMAP? It seems like a lot to get started with without a set of tutorials, or textbook that are structured for beginners.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

youtube seems to be a favourite. There are plenty of courses and web training from Siemens. This assumes a knowledge of FEA, which you can get from plenty of primer texts.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

I have a background in solid works simulation, but nothing seems to work in FEMAP like it does in an in-CAD FEM. FEMAP seems archaic and really not user friendly, perhaps I just need to get used to it. I’ve watched some YouTube videos, but I have t found anything for my application, which is a lot of structural modeling using shell elements.

ok, just trying to undertstand where you're coming from.

don't try PATRAN (if you think FeMap isn't user friendly). FeMap does definitely have quirks about how it does things. I haven't used SW.

I'd try Siemens courses.

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Hi
If you look in the Femap installation on your hard drive you find a catalogue called pdf. In that there is a file called examples that consists of several step-by-step examples regarding modelling. In my experience, YouTube-examples can show you what you can do but often fails in how to do it. At least for a beginner.

You say that Femap seems arhaic and not very user friendly. From a certain point of view I can agree, it's not like the in-CAD solutions. But when I looked at Nastran-in-CAD from Autodesk due to the Autodesk bought the Nastran version I used, I switched software. My issue was that in-CAD was very limited in several areas. It "holds your hand" to hard. Femap, once you have learned it is much more flexible, in my opinion.

Good Luck

Thomas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back