shear studs specs a307?? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lesgiu

Structural
Jul 20, 2001
PE
Hi guys,

I have a quick question regarding shear studs for composite beams, I have specified studs to comply with Astm A108 (fy=50ksi, fu=60 ksi). The contractor wants to use A307 or A325 for shear connector, I know that A325 are not allowed to be welded.

Can we use A307 bolts as shear studs? sorry if you think my question is stupid but i am very confused. Do A307 comply with astm a108? please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Leslie

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks for help Bagman

In addition to your comment, I sent an email to AISC regarding this issue and this is their comment:

"The preferred material specification for shear stud connectors used for the interconnection of steel and concrete elements in composite construction is ASTM A29 provided in a condition defined in ASTM A108. The mechanical requirements are stated in AWS D1.1 Table 7.1. The requirements are as follows:

• Type A – general purpose use other than for shear transfer in composite beams – Fy = 49 ksi and Fu = 61 ksi
• Type B – Shear transfer in composite beams – Fy = 51 ksi and Fu = 65 ksi
• Type C – Deformed bar anchors – Fy = 70ksi and Fu = 80 ksi

We are only familiar with the Type B studs used in composite beams. A307 and A325 are bolt specifications. It is not appropriate to use these specifications for shear studs. The AISC Specification (a free download from Chapter I only recognizes shear studs in accordance with AWS D1.1 clause 7. The use of other materials is outside of the scope of the AISC Specification and AWS D1.1"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back