Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Sheetmetal part and drawing dilemma

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcass

Mechanical
Nov 30, 2004
US
I have a formed part that is part of a weldment, basically a flat bar with 2 bends <45 deg, that has extra material on one end so the second bend can be made. Once formed, the part gets trimmed back on the one end closer to the bend. The problem is on the drawing the flat pattern needs shown with the "as cut" length and the formed part needs shown in the trimmed state. I've been trying to figure out how this could be done either through suppression, layers, bodies or some combination but haven't hit on a solution yet. Using NX9 and the drawing consists of multiple components of the parent weldment but not the weldment itself. Once upon a time when I used SWX, it could be done through a table and configurations. Am I overlooking something or is it not possible? Anyone know a way to do this? Thanks much.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3d567910-3be9-4dad-9b1c-cfaa5b84764c&file=Bar_01.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks deedub, that's the direction I was leaning. Right now I have the trimmed or cut down version as an extracted body on another layer then added a united feature with the extracted body suppressed for the longer part for the flat. I figured this was the best way to do it as the flat pattern has to be the last feature (won't create it otherwise) and not dependent on the extracted body. Problem with this is the formed views and the flat pattern display the same except, of course, the flat pattern is flat. I can't seem to show both configurations of the part on the same drawing. I tried the other way around with an extracted body of the longer part but when I created the flat pattern nothing was visible, I couldn't see any geometry at all. Attached pic with part structure.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0c553f45-ea71-46fb-b0f9-f3adb06b9652&file=Bar_02.jpg
Everything looks ok in the pic you've supplied, if you've done a convert to sheet metal and flat pattern on the extracted body then your flat pattern can be found under model views.

deedub777 method is the same we've come up with for similar situations (operations after the laser cut).

We did ask Siemens if it would be possible to timestamp the flat pattern, don't know if anything happened with that though.

NX 8.5 with TC 8.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back