Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ship fire 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We used a veg oil as an assembly lubricant.
It was easy to wash out and didn't contaminate the motors.
Every now and then an operator would forget and shove an oily rag into his pocket.
Given that the ambient temp was often 105-110F it wouldn't take long to have burning pants.
I only knew of one operator that did it more than once.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

Just to round off the off-topic part of this thread, there is nothing special about cast iron that makes it seasonable other than the dark color that hides the burnt/dirty look. Next time you cook fish, wipe your stainless pan with veggie oil and smoke it off on a medium heat. Once the bottom is golden brown you can cook your fish just like it were on a well seasoned cast iron. The advantage is that now you can build acidic sauces in the pan after your fish is done cooking. Picatta, anyone?

There's something special about cast iron frying pans. They're just neat. I have my mom's; it's likely over 100 years old. I don't use it any more, but I still have it.

I have been using 'Carote' (from Amazon) non-stick pans from Switzerland for the last few years. They are great and really non-stick and durable. They are odd looking... kind of a 'spackled' grey and white colour with composite handles, but they are the best non-stick pans I've encountered and durable. The only one that has discoloured is the large one that I use for carmelising 'sous vide' cooked steaks which is used at high temperatures with avocado oil.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

In the old days even school kids were taught that oily rags could spontaneously combust, as well as vegetation closely packed (grass, woodchips etc.) even a pile of rags with milk in them.
Petroleum products in a container such as a barrel or what ever DO NOT SPONTANEOUSLY COMBUST.
Lithium Ion battery's can spontaneously combust.
Is there a determination of the cause of the fire yet?

JohnRBaker said:
And since these cars were being sent where they were, it's very possible that they're used cars, which would provide even more chances that there could be problems with the electrical/fuel systems.

John likely hit the nail on the head with this post. The cars on this ship are not new cars, they are not in good condition, it's a surprise they didn't have a fire sooner.

must admit I didn't know it was purely a vegetable fat issue.

Not very good at spotting the difference of rag contamination.

As stated above I was given this gem when a small child.... Touch wood its never happened to me yet.

What's the deal with mineral oil?

I'm learning so much about the risks from oily or milky rags and carelessly discarded grass clippings. What engineering controls are standard for controlling the risks from Spontateous Human Combustion (SHC)?

Evidently if you take said human and fossilize him into petroleum, said human will not spontaneously combust.

According to Link, the petroleum version of the human lacks the double bonds the human started with. I'd really like to understand this process better.

If petroleum doesn't oxidize, why do I specify dielectric mineral oil with oxide inhibition? I'm not too worried about spontaneous combustion of transformers, but I do worry about loss of dielectric strength within them.

Another car carrier has caught fire in the North Sea, burning out of control, and the ship was abandoned. One crew member reported dead, the remainder abandoning by lifeboat and helicopter. Reportedly new cars, and suspected it may have started with an EV battery pack. The ship was the Fremantle Highway, en route from Bremerhaven to Port Said, with the incident occurring off the coast of the Netherlands.

gCaptain article: One Dead as Major Fire Rips Through Car Carrier in North Sea

Sal Mercogliano:

I saw that the ship was coming from Germany. This was the result of a Google search.

Screenshot_20230726-110907_jvli2r.png

There may be a connection.

dik said:
The only one that has discoloured is the large one that I use for carmelising 'sous vide' cooked steaks which is used at high temperatures with avocado oil.

You shouldn't be using that cookware at high temperatures. It is Teflon which does not tolerate high heat well.

I don't know what the coating is. It appears to be a ceramic, not teflon. I've owned several ceramic, and teflon, 'stick free' pans and they have all failed over time. Not these... they are going on for three or four years, with frequent use, and other than the discolouration of the one used at high heat, the surfaces of all are still 'stick free' and almost pristine. They are kind of a spackled grey and white coating, with composite handles, look odd, but are excellent and far better than any of the non-stick products I've used.

Clip_um1ray.jpg

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back