Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ship fire 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, this looks very much like the countertops in our kitchen, except our Granite is more polished:

PC-077_k1ozxt.jpg

October 2019 (Sony a6000)

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

The Carote website says to not use high temperatures, because that damages the coating. However, Carote implies that it's basically an enamel coating

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.mycarote.com/blogs/news/all-you-need-to-know-about-granite-cookware[/URL]]When cooking with your granite cookware, only heat the pan to low-medium heat to better preserve the nonstick coating.

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.mycarote.com/blogs/for-kalles/is-granite-stone-cookware-safe-for-our-health[/URL]]Granite stone cookwares have a porcelain enamel fused at 2,000 F, and this creates a nonstick glass surface that’s non-porous and inert. Granite stone cookware these days are much lighter than previous generations of granite stone because of technological advancements.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Do not drop or bump your granite cookware against hard surfaces. If you accidentally drop your granite pan and the interior coating gets chipped, dispose of the damaged cookware immediately.

This line bothers me. What is the underlying material that is so dangerous?

They have salt water spray cooling going and they have flooded the gap between the twin hulls to keep the structural heat limits in check.

They have some serious kit on site. The engineer's are telling him 36 hours until it runs out of oxidants

This line bothers me. What is the underlying material that is so dangerous?

[URL unfurl="true" said:
https://www.thekitchn.com/chipped-enamel-need-to-replace-86730[/URL]]The standard advice from most cookware companies is that pots and pans with chipped enamel are unsafe and shouldn’t be used. We imagine that the danger is not so much the exposed cast-iron as it is that the enamel could chip further and you’ll wind up with bits of enamel in your food. Not a pleasant prospect.

Additional to the further chipping of the enamel into your food is the possibility of rust, if the underlying layer is iron.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

I am wondering about the insurance liability of the ship that sank.
A friend of mine was shipping a pickup truck on a small coastal freighter.
The truck was loaded on the open deck.
The ship encountered a storm and the crew jettisoned friend's truck.
His lawyer told him that if the ship was lost, all shippers shared the loss, but that if by jettisoning cargo the crew was able to save the ship, the ship owners were liable for the cost of the jettisoned cargo.
The ship owners negotiated a payout for the truck, without going to court.
This leads me to wonder;
Was this a local law or an international law?
Given the cost of repair and the cost of the lost vehicles, was it cheaper for the ship to "accidentally" sink?

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back