Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Should I start studying engineering in my late 20s? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottm79

Electrical
Aug 13, 2009
US
I'm in my late twenties now, and know that I need to go back to school so that I can get a decent job in the future. I'm seriously considering studying engineering, but don't know if my age would be a hinderance when I graduate. (I'd be 33-34 by the time I finish.)

I've asked some of the schools in the area, and they all say age shouldn't be a problem...but then again, are they really going to discourage anyone from attending their university? Do you all have any opinions regarding the chances of someone in my position having a good career in engineering if I start now?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If money is short, one can get a two year associates degree and transfer to a university. One caveat is to ensure the credits you earn will transfer.

Community colleges are often about half price compared to a four year institution. Some will even cover your tuition if you volunteer a set number of hours a week.

I did not go back to school until 25. Took me until I was 32 to finish my BSME by attending night classes.

And I still had 30 years of a career ahead of me ;)

Towards the end it did feel kinda strange going to school with students 10 years younger, but since I was going to school at night, there were at least a few others that were older.

I agree with alot of the other posters. Go for it. You already have experience , although maybe not engineering, and this could give you a slight advantage over someone that is 22 with only their grades to fall back on, and no real world xp.

It's not that you're doing engineering for the money. It's that you're taking on educational debt with less time to pay it off. There is a point where a person needs to balance job enjoyment and the expected quality of life.

As many others have said, go for it!

Personally, I went straight from high school to getting my BSME. However, many of the "older" students seemed to have their lives more together and organized. I would think that would help in both pursuit of a degree and in trying to land that first job.

However, there were some "older" students trying to juggle a demanding job, family, taking care of a house, etc. Some of them seemed to be spreading them pretty thin and their education suffered (in my opinion). If you are at a point in your life that you are confident you can devote the necessary time and energy to your education, then definately go for it. However, it seemed the time and effort required when I was getting my BSME was for a full-time student who could focus on eating, sleeping, basic hygiene, school work, maybe a very limited part-time job, and not much else. Be sure you are ready for it and go for it!

-- MechEng2005

Figure out what you're passionate about, and do that. If it takes qualifications to follow your passion, of course you need to go out and get them.

Don't waste your time, or the time of your instructors or future employers and co-workers, by pursuing engineering because you "need a good job in the future" and think engineering might give you that chance. There are plenty of people (2/3 of Canada's annual graduating class according to our 2006 census) who finish an engineering degree and DO NOT end up working as engineers. I strongly suggest that you do NOT become one of them.

If you know what engineers actually do for a living, and you think it's truly interesting and exciting, then go to school and become one. If your passion is there, your age won't be a hindrance whatsoever- unless you try to keep up with the young kids partying while you're going to school!

As others have said this is a 2 part question.

1. Should I study Engineering.

2. Will my age be a disadvantage.

1. has been debated before I think if not on this forum then forum731 or forum732. Basically if you have a decent interest in Engineering, and some basic aptitude in the requisit skills are are fine with being comfortably off but probably not rich, then it may indeed be for you.

2. Overal it probably wont be a disadvantage. Sure you'll have about 5 - 10 less years to get your Return on investment but that goes for any degree. Your extra age though will hopefully give you some maturity that will give you an advantage.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

scottm79, if you think you are really interested in engineering, do it. If you just feel you need a degree, get something different, it'll be easier.

I went back to school full time at 40. It was not the easiest thing to do, but I have never been sorry.

Regards,

Mike

FeX32: and you'll keep hearing it, at least until I stop hearing people in the media talking about how we have to "promote" engineering as an educational option!

Engineering's great, if it's your calling- and sucks big time if it isn't. If this thread's any indication, that call came late in life to some very good folks, and they haven't looked back.

My philosophy is it is never too late to start something you want to do especially if it will benefit you and your family.

However, I have to agree with the other posters with the question is Engineering your calling? Even before you get to your engineering courses, you will have to get thru the weeding out class such as the math, physics, and chemical classes and then wield these subjects in the engineering classes. I'm not trying to deter you, but get you psyched up. I went to a public university where a good part of the student population was and still is working parents. Many have come in with good intentions, but realizing the brain power needed to jump thru the classes deemed too much and eventually dropped out. But, there were many who had the aptitude and passed the classes despite only having four hours of sleep because of work and family.

So lace up, get your head into the game, and go kick those calculation’s a$$e$.

Good luck

Tobalcane
"If you avoid failure, you also avoid success."

I was in the same boat.

Wife and kid on the way at 28.

Graduated when I was 31.

It actually helped when I interviewed!!! A few places looked at it as a negative and you could see it when they were looking at me, but most looked at it as a positive. You have the ability to work. Most kids out of college don't. I work with 3 new engineers (<2 years out of school) and the biggest difference is not the skill but the ability to handle the work place.

Good luck and have fun with it!!!

Engineering has always been my love, but it ended up being my second career...

I went back to school when I was 51. I even stayed in a dorm for one semester so I could sell my house and move my wife down. You have plenty of time to go to school if you want to and my experience was a huge plus when going for a job interview.

My late university experience also produced some rather comical situations. I competed in the Great Moonbuggy Race for my senior project and was asked how it was to mentor the students. Of course I proceeded to say I was one of the students. Also I received comments about me riding my bycicle to class going across campus.

Get an engineering degree late in life?
Why not? - All the upsides have been mentioned above, and if it’s what you really wanted to do – Great!
“If you think you are really interested in engineering, do it. If you just feel you need a degree, get something different, it'll be easier”. That line should be in every University’s School of Engineering’s reception area.
BUT
I have been sat on both sides so the interview desk quite a few times now, and I would put a very cynical question to you
“Did you enter engineering later in life because it just took you longer to realise that’s what you wanted to do, or did you realise that, all things considered, it’s not that bad as an occupation?”
As long as your answer is believable, and the rest of the interview answers line up with this reply, I don’t see a problem.
The age thing won’t work against you.

By all means, if you are interested in following an engineering career, yes! I graduated with a BS at 32 and am planning to get my graduate degree in the next 5 years.

Don't do it for the money. Aside from the fact that there is no money in engineering, your search for it will make you miserable. If you are looking for money, then be a welder or a plumber!

Keep in mind that your experience is part of an overall picture of you. Don't under emphasize this if (when?) you do become an engineer.

Life happens!

I did it and you can too. I graduate from HS in 1989 and started Kansas State in 1993. I got through most of the first two years before burning out. I took a full time job at K-state and worked as a computer operator, programmer, and finally as a supervisor for 8 years. I eventually decided to go back in 2003 and finish my degree, which I did in 2006 at the age of 35. I did have some problems getting a job. It took 5 months to find one, but I don't think my age was the problem.

Here are a few suggestions to maximize your college experience. Sit in the front rows and get to know every professor. Stop by their office and ask what they are doing as research. Join some technical clubs like SAE mini-baja, Formula SAE, SAE aerodesign team etc. There are simialr groups for electrical, cival and chemical, these were the groups most focused on mechanical. If there is a group sponsered by a different dept you can still join it. The solar car team was sponsered by the EE dept. but drew people from all engineering diciplins.

find out what research the profs are doing and insinuate yourself in. Hang around the lab and annoy them with questions and ask if there are undergrad research postitions available. Offer to work as a tutor or grader for a class you have already taken. I did this for the ME comuter programming class since I had a lot more programming experience. I not only helped out ME who were clueless about programming when they started I learned alot more about it then I ever knew, and could debug programms faster then before.

Most important in my eyes for future employement is to apply for summer internships. don't leave these for the fresh from high school group. This is the best way to network as an engineering student. If you interned at a company and liked it try interning at the same company every summer. If your interships go well you should be a shoe in for any entry engineering position at that company.

Also important is to make friends with the other students. It may be a bit of a maturity difference at first, but they will catch up in the maturity department very quickly in the few years you are at college and they might even find your more mature perspective helpful when they are having problems. Remeber it's not just technical subjects we need to be mentored on. These people will be your lab partners and group project co-workers for 4 or 5 years, so be nice. Besides there will be a few non-traditional students (I like to use the term re-treads). A group of us got in early every morning (no problem with parking before 7am) and sat in the foyer at Durland/Rathbone/What ever that new wing was called and did homework and prepared for the day, but mostly just hanging out and chatting with students and professors as they came in.

As you work through your classes keep a portfolio of projects you have worked on. The best interviews ask about what you have done, and the best answers are to show them the projects you have worked on and how you contributed.

Have fun with it, and absolutely go for it.

-Kirby

Kirby Wilkerson

Remember, first define the problem, then solve it.

I am in my mid 20's now and have a degree in accounting, about to pass the Certified Public Accountant Exams. However the Economy is taking a hit on Accountants and I may not be able to get another job. I am starting to think of new careers. Engineering has been something I have been getting interested in the last couple months, seeing how bad the U.S. infrastructure is, I would like to help.

I Still have the time to study I just don't know if it will be worth the time and money.

Money is not everything I have learned that in accounting and my life. I just want to make a steady living.

What do you think?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back