Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Silo Collapse, Shoalhaven River Australia

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not really a whole lot to talk about on this one given the dearth of public information. And that is unlikely to change in the near term or possibly at all. Silos are notoriously abused so structural failures are not that uncommon. That said at a guess I'd think this might be a foundation failure given its proximity to the river.

Not the first time recently that the company has has incidents. In the dust explosion incident reported below they were very lucky not to have deaths. (Note, I have no reason to believe the company has any systemic structure/safety issues here. Could just be 'bad luck'.)

An those are just the incidents that hit the news. One resulted in a death the other closed a highway. These incidents are certainly not uncommon. And yes non uniform radial loads can result in failure, I've seen distortion caused by that.

This happened a little over 4 years ago in Algeria. A coastal storm hit and the silo were evidently not suitably design for the wind pressures they experience. At this point they were brand new and some still under construction. Though that shouldn't have affected ulitmate strength the wind rings were installed and are visible.

Symaga_Silo_damage_npe9mz.png

Back