Simpson Hanger Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteelPE

Structural
Mar 9, 2006
US
I have a brief question regarding Simpson Joist hangers

Due to some design constraints, I would like to connect a beam to a PT column using a concealed joist hanger. I can't find anywhere where this is prohibited.... or, for that matter, allowed. I have a few different instances on a project where this occurs, but the worst case is where I have 3-1 3/4" LVL's into a 6x6 post with an end reaction of about 1750#. Was thinking about using a Simpson HUCQ610 SDS which has a capacity of over 5,000#.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've done that. I don't see why you couldn't. However keep in mind that fasteners into treated lumber need to be hot-dipped galvanized or stainless steel as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure if the standard simpson fasteners are appropriate for use in treated lumber.

Also, why such a heavy hanger. The standard HUC hangers have more than the required capacity you indicate.

Honestly, compared to the column cap we were about to specify this hanger is a far more economical option..... It's the only hanger I have found so far that will fit the 3-LVL's we are specifying.

This is from Simpson's HUCQ product page:

HUCQ410_Post_in_w1uf20.jpg

I think it's an acceptable option. I believe the concealed flange joist hangers specify minimum wood dimensions for the "supporting" member so you would just have to check that. I would also consider whether or not you need to apply a reduction for the wet service factor. In my experience PT wood is not dried after treatment to get you out of this reduction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back