Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Single Angle Hanger

Status
Not open for further replies.

missstructures

Structural
Apr 12, 2001
US
Let me get an opinion on this... I've gotten different answers from different colleagues..

Single angle hanger, connected to the underside of concrete member with post-installed anchor bolts (yikes I know) - hanger steel bar welded to vertical leg of the angle applying tension to the vertical leg

What loads do the bolts need to designed for?

My initial thought was T(bolt) = T + (Tg)/e (tension due to load + added tension due to eccentrically applied load, resolved into a tension/compression)

after talking with other engineers and researching some.. AISC prying action could apply?

So in summary, my questions:
1. What are the resulting loads in the bolts?
2. When using the AISC Prying Action equation, if t > treq, does the tension in the bolts = T/n (no added tension from any eccentricity to be considered)?
3. PCI also has a method in chapter 6, which is slightly different than the 2 above, would this be acceptable for the described condition?
4. Should the angle be checked for bi-axial bending - strong axis bending (angle spanning between the bolts) + torsion (due to load applied at the vertical leg, thus eccentric to the centroid)

TIA for the help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I could be wrong (because I don't have the reference in front of me). But, I believe the CISC (Canadian steel) handbook has some single angle formulas in their section on prying action.

Definitely consider prying. AISC methods are intended for steel on steel so their applicability is limited. If PCI's method is steel on concrete, that sound promising. I would't apply torsion and biaxial provisions. The length of the angle is too short for that stuff to apply.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Definitely prying. In lieu of AISC equations, you can just dumb it down to a cantilevered beam using statics.

When I am working on a problem, I never think about beauty but when I have finished, if the solution is not beautiful, I know it is wrong.

-R. Buckminster Fuller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back